Chapter 71 - The Holy War Pact

Chandler settled on the roof of the castle and opened the bottle of wine he'd snagged from the kitchens. If Young Master Meliodas wanted to be stubborn, that just meant Chandler had to wait for the right time. And while he waited, he might as well enjoy being free from that seal. After all, humans may be disgusting insects but they sure knew how to brew some good booze.

He had just begun to drink when the screaming started.

'Come on,' he groaned. 'What's a guy gotta do to have a drink in peace around here?'

'[Y/n]! Where are you?' A familiar voice shouted from behind Chandler. He turned to see the young master leaning out a window and scanning the ground below. 'Damn it. Why would you take Elizabeth? Come back to me this instant!' Young Master Meliodas hopped up onto the windowsill before flying off with wings darker than the night sky.

Chandler clenched his fists. 'How dare that wench kidnap the young master's daughter,' he fumed to himself. But then Chandler started to smile. 'Oh ho! This is the perfect opportunity.' He raised both hands to his cheeks and focussed the magic to concentrate there. 'Please, Young Master, please don't hold this against me.' When the magic was humming, Chandler pulled. 'Hope you'll understand, this is all for your sake. Split Taama!'

The balls of flesh grew wings and flew off to find the Goddess. Chandler watched them go. They would find [Y/n]. And kill her.

You ran. Each time your foot hit the ground, a jolt ran through your whole body. Memories kept swirling in your mind of times with Meliodas. And in each one, your love felt so strong you could almost see it. But Meliodas thought you were lying. No. He thought your love was manufactured.

Camelot wasn't quiet anymore. Screams rang through the air, echoing off the streets. The screams in your heart were louder.

'What's happening?' Elizabeth asked, tugging on your hand.

You didn't answer.

'The Demons aren't attacking ...' Elizabeth slowed a little and you pulled her faster. 'So what—?' Elizabeth broke herself off with a gasp. You glanced back but now Elizabeth was the one pulling you along. Just as you rounded a corner, she began to slow. 'I knew it.'

Standing at the intersection of the next street, a giant someone in orange was making scary faces at the screaming humans.

'No way.' You stumbled a little. 'Diane?'

How had you not realised? But now as you concentrated and looked around, familiar power was raining over the city. Somewhere to your left, Chastiefol in its Sunflower form was towering over the houses. Way up in the sky, Hawk's mum hovered like a small planet.

Hearing your voices, Diane turned. 'Wait ... is that you, [Y/n]? And Elizabeth too?'

You didn't stop running to her. You were so close.

'Look out!'

Reacting instinctively, you grabbed Elizabeth around her waist and yanked her to the ground. Hard stone scraped your knees. Something small and fast whipped over your head, stirring up your hair. You heard something that sounded like teeth gnashing. Something soft tickled your arm and something warm dripped on it. You looked down and saw silvery strands of hair mixing with red blood. Eyes wide and stomach heaving up to your throat, you looked up.

Blood dripped down Elizabeth's face. Her fringe had been cut short and jagged by whatever had attacked you.

'No,' you whispered. Again. You had failed her again.

'It's all right, Mum,' Elizabeth said quickly. She held a glowing hand to the cut. 'I'm fine. See?'

The blood had gone and Elizabeth was smiling, so why weren't you smiling back?