Chapter 3 - The Sin in the Sleeping Forest

The Forest of White Dreams was cold. All the trees were dead and mist slinked between their finger-like branches. There was no wind, no birdsong, no sign of life. The only sounds were their footsteps. At least until Hawk began to talk.

'Hey, Meliodas?' he began. 'Are you sure about this? We've been out here three hours now. There's no sign of any animals, much less any humans either.'

'You're right, Hawk,' said Elizabeth. 'Sir Meliodas.' She turned to said man. 'Do you really think we'll be able to find one of the Seven Deadly Sins here?'

'Probably,' was all Meliodas said.

'You mean we came here without any solid evidence?' Hawk screeched. He looked around warily. 'I heard there's a terrifying monster who lurks around here, watching and waiting...'

Elizabeth screamed.

'What is it?' said Hawk quickly.

'There's something on my back,' the princess stammered with tears in her eyes.

'Hey relax,' said Meliodas pulling his hand away, 'just me.'

Elizabeth wiped her brow. 'Oh good. What a relief.'

Hawk peered at Meliodas but didn't say anything.

Mission accomplished.

Good job, [Y/n] replied, and watch out for those Hide-and-Seeks.

Meliodas loved days like these, days when both he and [Y/n] were wearing their rings. Especially when he had a mission to do. It was almost as if she were here beside him. Almost. She smelt good. He hadn't smelt her in ages. God did he miss the way she smelt.

Then he heard her laugh. Thanks, you smell good too.

'Well, putting that aside for just a minute,' Meliodas said, keeping Hawk from asking questions, 'I might have a little evidence. Travelling through the Forest of White Dreams on horseback is more difficult than you think. It's so hard to get your bearings that experienced travellers go around it.'

'This would be the perfect place for someone to hide out,' cheered Elizabeth.

All of a sudden a rush of emotions flooded Meliodas's head. Panic. Adrenaline. Anger.

[Y/n]! What is it? he asked, but there was no reply. Then the ring went cold. [Y/n]! He was all ready to drop everything and storm off (even though he didn't know where she was) but then her voice was back.

Sorry, sorry, sorry she said some bandits jumped out at me and-wait, there's more. Gotta go.

And the ring went cold again. Meliodas sighed and tried to slow his heart beat(s) back to normal. [Y/n] can handle bandits. But still...he couldn't help but worry as they continued through the trees.

'Now come on, slowpokes, pick up the pace would ya?' Hawk shouted from up ahead.

'Coming,' called Elizabeth.

'Hey, hold your bacon,' Meliodas said. 'Not a lot of fun travelling with a nervous piggy.' But then he stopped. Looked like [Y/n] was right (he didn't need the ring to know she'd be saying of course I was). 'Woah.'

Hawk had multiplied. They all said as one, 'What do you mean calling me a nervous piggy, huh?'

Then they all started to freak out. It was very odd. Meliodas remembered a dream he'd had like this before. It wasn't a pleasant dream. Or a pleasant reality for that matter.

'This is the monster of the Forest?' asked Elizabeth, confusion evident in her voice.

'I, for one, find it terrifying,' said Meliodas.