Chapter 24 - The Heroes

Hendrickson got up. He landed in front of you, the force blowing back your hair and the tatters of your clothes. His ruined arm fixed itself with popping and cracking noises that rose goosebumps on your spine. Hendrickson didn't get to finish, though, because Meliodas punched him in the jaw.

Hendrickson flew into the air only to be smacked with Gideon. Diane's attack sent Hendrickson into the cliff wall at such force dust rose and obscured him. But only for a second. Now Hendrickson was flying, an ugly misshapen bird tearing through the sky. He didn't get to fly very far though. Chastiefol came out of nowhere, spearing Hendrickson like a fish and sending him crashing back to earth.

'Incredible.' The knights around you were in awe. 'They're even more powerful than the legend said.'

'Sir Meliodas?' Elizabeth asked from back where she stood beside Margaret.

Meliodas turned to her. 'It's okay, 'cause thanks to you, our stamina is back up to where it was before we started. So you can just leave the rest to us. For now I think it's best if you stay here with Hawk.'

Elizabeth nodded, her eyes glistening with tears.

You didn't linger beside Elizabeth and Hawk because Hendrickson had just gotten up. Again. He was currently finishing putting his arm back to normal.

Ugh. For once it'd be nice if a demon stayed down when they were punched, you muttered.

Melidoas rolled his eyes. Like you're one to talk.

'No way,' said Diane. 'It doesn't even seem like we hurt him at all.'

'Damn,' said Ban with a scowl. 'I ripped that arm off, but it looks like it didn't take. This guy's turning out to be a bigger pain in the ass than I thought.'

'We're not finished yet,' you said. You turned. 'Gowther, spread the word. We're gonna do the attack we talked about.'

'[Y/n].' There was sadness in King's voice. His shoulders began to tremble. 'Gowther's not ... um ...'

Headless Gowther sat up. One hand held his head beneath his arm and the other searched through the flowers for something.

Diane and King screamed, clutching each other.

'Now where are my glasses?' Gowther's head muttered as he searched. You wished he'd reattach his head before talking.

'He's still alive?' King cried.

Evidently Gowther must have found his glasses, because when he turned to face you all they were once again perched on his nose.

'There.' Gowther posed. 'Roger that, [Y/n].' His left hand pressed against his temple, the other pointed away from him. 'Tap. Broadcast.'

A short beam of light burst from his fingers and sped through the air. It collided with Ban, Diane and King before zipping off to the other Holy Knights. As their shocked gasps filled the air, you knew what they were seeing: the plans you had discussed with Gowther projected fully formed into their minds.

'Is this seriously our plan?' said Ban and you smirked.

'Captain, are you sure about this?' said Diane, one hand pressed to her head.

Meliodas ignored both of them. 'All right, everyone.' He crossed his arms in front of his chest. 'Time to get started.'

A dark fog started to surround Meliodas. It billowed through the air, distorting the landscape, before flowing directly into the ring on your left hand. The power made you shiver. It felt like your blood was fizzing and your hair was standing on end. The ring began to glow. Meliodas stood up straight.