Chapter 27 - In Pursuit of First Love

King knew the fireworks were beautiful. Of course he did. But he couldn't seem to pay attention to them, not when Diane was beside him and the words she had said earlier were echoing louder than the booms.

Let's go together. Let's go together.

But why? What did it mean?

'King. King are you listening?' Diane's face was right in front of him.

King staggered back. 'Um, what did you say?'

Diane turned back. 'Aw come on. Watch the fireworks. They're amazing. Best seats in the house.'

King nodded with a soft smile and stepped up beside her, watching a particularly big firework explode. Its red light washed over the kingdom. But before King could truly get into it or even pluck up the courage to sit beside Diane, Diane sprang to her feet.

'Oops, that's right.' She turned to him with an apologetic smile. 'I was supposed to help at the tavern.'

King's heart sank. 'Huh?'

Diane hopped off the battlements, her hair flying behind her. 'Sorry, the captain's waiting, so I need to go on ahead.'

'Diane, wait!' The words burst from his lips before King could stop them. Don't go, he wanted to say. Stay with me. Just for a little longer. But Diane was looking at him with those pretty eyes and the words seemed to get stuck in his throat, so instead King just said, 'I'll be along soon too.'

'Right. See ya.' Diane waved to him before racing off once again.

King raised a hand in farewell, laughing awkwardly. As soon as Diane was out of sight, King grabbed his hair and groaned. 'I am such a stupid little moron!'

You went to stack the dirty plates but Meliodas stopped you. He took the plates from your hands and replaced them with a bottle of ale. It wasn't your first – or even your second, for that matter – but you accepted it anyway, happy to procrastinate cleaning even though you knew you'd regret it in the morning.

A drunken laugh reached your ears and you looked up to see a flushed Ban holding two steins and pouring the contents of one onto Hawk. 'Here, drink up, Master.'

'Easy,' said Hawk, clearly irritated at being interrupted from his food. 'You're gonna make all my scraps taste like ale.'

'Ale marinated pork sounds good,' said Meliodas.

You snorted into your bottle, the sound drowned out by Hawk's affronted squeal.

'Looking good, Diane,' Howzer slurred from the next table over. 'Hey. More.' He held out his empty stein.

Diane brought him a replacement. Through the haze of alcohol, your mind slowly put together what you were seeing. Howzer was blushing. Or was it from drinking too much? Or maybe his face was always that red? You couldn't remember.

Meliodas laughed. You blinked at him, your eyelids falling and rising slower than you were used too. They had gotten heavier for some reason.

'Are you laughing at me?' you said, wondering if your tongue had grown or if it had always been that big.

Meliodas's eyes twinkled and you had the sudden urge to profess your love loudly and possibly in song form. Meliodas, Meliodas, your eyes are so ... green. Yes. A very good start as his eyes were, in fact, green. Now to continue ... Wait. What rhymes with green? Are there any words that rhyme with green? Oh, no, wait. As green and as pretty as the freshest of beans. Was that a good song?

Beside you, Meliodas spluttered mid-drink. You looked at him worriedly and went to ask if he was okay but there was no need because he wrapped his arms around you, burying his face in the crook of your neck. He was so warm. Maybe you should include that in your song. Or maybe something about his hair?