Chapter 42 - Master of the Sun

The fire cracked and popped, spitting sparks to join the stars. The light glinted off discarded armour and flickered over the shapes of your friends. Spirits were high, stomachs were full and the air was getting sleepier and sleepier. Everyone was getting along amazingly which you were grateful for, especially as this was one of the first missions you'd done as a team.

Opposite you, Meliodas and Ban were picking on King. Merlin was watching with her usual sly smile. Diane's eyes were drooping as she giggled sleepily. Escanor shivered, his gaze often wandering back to Merlin. And the hulking shape of Gowther loomed over everyone. It was impossible to know what or who he was looking at.

'[Y/n]?' said Diane after a particularly loud laugh from Meliodas and Ban.

You hummed and looked to her, but she was just staring at the flames.

'You and the captain still aren't married, are you?'

'Ah.' Your gaze met Meliodas's. His eyes glinted. 'No. No we're not.'

Diane sighed and drew her knees to her chest. 'Humans have short lives, so they enter a contract together called marriage in order to live on.' She said the exact same words she had said the day you'd met. For some reason, King sat up straighter, staring unwavering at Diane. 'Will you get married soon?'

'W-well I don't think—'

'Why not?' Meliodas interrupted. You stared at him. He smiled slightly. 'Let's get married.'

'Will there be flowers? Will it be inside or outside? How many people? Will there be dancing? What will your dress be like?' Margaret barely stopped for breath between each question, bouncing on the spot.

You laughed slightly and shifted Elizabeth to one arm so you could pat Margaret's head with the other. 'I'm not really sure. Your mama is doing most of the planning. Maybe you should ask her.'

Margaret pouted. 'Papa said not to disturb mama right now.' She stared at you. 'Am I allowed to come to the wedding?'

'I will insist on it.'

Margaret beamed.

There was a knock at the door. You turned to see one of the castle attendants. He bowed smartly before saying, 'I am here to escort Princess Margaret to her lessons.'

No longer bouncing, Margaret sighed. 'Thank you.' She curtseyed to you in farewell and walked to the door.

The attendant bowed to you and they both left, leaving you alone with Elizabeth.

Elizabeth started to make quiet baby noises so you rocked her, humming the old lullaby soft. One of her tiny hands broke free from the blanket and latched onto your finger. You walked to the window, still humming softly, and looked over the kingdom. Sometimes you wondered whether the old prophecy made for a poor lullaby, but it always soothed Elizabeth.

'Knew I'd find you here,' said a familiar voice. You turned to see Meliodas leaning on the door and smiling slightly.

'It's not what you think,' you said quickly. 'The maid had to step out for a second so I just offered to watch her for a bit.'

'So you actually got permission this time.'

You scowled. 'I shouldn't need to permission to hold my own—'

'I'm back, Lady [Y/n],' came a voice from the hallway. 'Sorry for – Oh, Sir Meliodas, I didn't know you were here.' The maid bobbed a curtsey and smoothed down her apron.

'No worries.' Meliodas stood up straight. 'I just came to get [Y/n] for training.'

Ignoring the flustered apologies of the maid, you hugged Elizabeth close for a second longer before handing her to the maid.