Chapter 39 - Father & Son

The stone angel stared blankly at you and Hendrickson. Its hands were empty and its wings were small. Its flat grey eyes unnerved you and you gripped your ash staff tighter. Before either of you could say anything, Jenna's disembodied voice filled the cavern.

'This will be your opponent,' she said, her voice kind of smug.

You stepped around the angel. It didn't move. 'A golem?'

'Of a sort. But each time you defeat it, it will come back. And each time it comes back it will have learnt from your fight.'

Hendrickson nodded. 'It will get smarter.'

'Smarter. Stronger. Faster. Whatever it needs to be the victor.' Jenna laughed slightly. 'Good luck.'

No sooner had the echo of Jenna's voice faded, the angel attacked. You ducked under its arm and hopped back a few steps. The angel span, a palm slamming into Hendrickson's chest. He stumbled back a few steps but didn't fall. The three of you surveyed each other.

'What's it doing?' asked Hendrickson, holding his staff at the ready. 'Do you think it's gathering information already?'

You hummed. 'I think we should assume so. We also need to come to a decision quickly.'

'You're right.' Hendrickson's eyes narrowed. 'How fast do we want it to learn?'

'Well, I don't know about you, Hendy, but I'm in for a bit of fun.' You grinned at him.

Hendrickson blinked but then returned your smile. 'Sounds good to me.'

And with that, you blurred across to the stone angel, grabbed its arm and slammed it into the floor. The statue burst into chunks of rock. A cloud of dust rose.

'I didn't know that was what you meant.' Hendrickson coughed. 'That was probably a mistake.'

You laughed sheepishly and rubbed the back of your neck. 'Probably. I just wanted to see how long it would take to regenerate.'

With a slight rumble, the stone fragments sped off to where the angel had first appeared. Before your eyes, the pieces rebuilt and within a blink it was whole again. The angel was slightly bigger. You made a noise of appreciation. Hendrickson adjusted his position. And the angel attacked.

It was faster than last time. Its forearm caught you in the chest and you flew back, slamming into the wall. Definitely a mistake. But, you stood up and shook yourself off, it was kind of fun. Hendrickson blocked a swipe with his ash staff, arms trembling, but managed to kick the angel's leg. A smirk grew on your lips.

This was going to be fun.

Merlin watched [Y/n] get up and folded her arms. It had been a while since she'd seen [Y/n] really let go. Beside Merlin, Jenna gave a self-satisfied hum. The Druid Chief held out her palm. The two rings glinted in the sunlight.

'So you made these, right?' asked Jenna, turning the rings over.

Merlin nodded. 'That's right.'

'Quite impressive.'

'It was nothing.' Merlin turned back to watch the battle. 'Just a small token of my appreciation. The least I could do.'

'They really are good people, aren't they?' Something in Jenna's voice made Merlin turn from the fight. The Druid Chief's eyebrows were twisting, a faint smile on her lips.

'They really are.' Merlin tilted her head slightly. 'You could apologise you know.'

Jenna snorted. 'Yeah, that's not really my style.' She turned back to the glowing orb and waved her hand. [Y/n] and Hendrickson's battle disappeared and was replaced with Meliodas and King. But they weren't fighting a monster. They had turned on each other. 'Wait, what is this? They just started fighting all of a sudden.'