Chapter 9 - Dark Pulse

Ban coughed and blood splattered to the ground. 'Come on, now what's the big idea, King?'

'Well isn't it obvious?' said the fairy. 'I'm here to save you.'

'Isn't that special? Thanks a lot, pal.' Ban smirked.

'Oh, think nothing of it. Anything for Diane, [Y/n] and the captain.'

You smiled.

'I see, but not for me, huh?' said Ban.

'No, not really,' King said. 'But my sister cares about you a lot.'

So it was her they came to see. You put a hand on one hip and shook your head. Well, at least it was over now. Or you thought it was.

There was movement in the corner of your eye and you turned just as an explosion shook the ground. It was Guila. Her rapier was pointed to the sky and chunks of crystal fell around her.

'Wow.' Ban's voice was drier than the sun.

'It's true your betrayal is not completely unexpected,' said Guila, 'yet, King the Grizzly Sin, I am rather disappointed.'

King shrugged. 'Well that's an unexpected thing to say to me. I didn't ever swear I'd be your lifelong partner in whatever your plans were. The realm wanted to defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and I wanted to see Ban destroyed. We had mutual interests for a while, but that's no longer the case.'

'Blah-de-blah,' Ban interrupted. 'I'm really tired of you talking behind my back.'

A tiny bubble of a giggle burst from your lips. Meliodas rolled his eyes.

'Poor King,' said Guila. The end of her rapier had begun to smoke. 'An entirely predictable excuse.' She moved her sword through the air leaving a trail or fireballs. 'Shot Bomb!'

With a flourish of her weapon, Guila sent the fire towards your group.

Before you could do anything, King made a small noise of disinterest and flicked his hand. His spear cut through Ban and span through the air, deflecting every one of the fires. It kept spinning until all the fire and smoke had dissipated.

'How magnificent,' said Guila even though her voice hadn't changed. 'The Spirit Spear Chastiefol, forged from the Holy Tree located in the Fairy Realm, more durable than steel, possessing the awesome powers of the Holy Tree itself. Your magical ability can summon all those properties. Disaster.'

King brought the spear back to his side and looked down at Guila.

Guila smiled. 'This should make things a bit more interesting.' She got into position. 'Please feel free to attack me five on one.'

King floated forwards, Chastiefol spinning lazy circles above his head. 'No,' he said. 'One on one will do.'

'Seriously?'

You opened your mouth to protest but Meliodas grabbed your hand and pulled you down to sit on the floor beside him. You pouted but sighed, giving in. King could do this.

'All right, King, go for it,' Meliodas called, sheathing his sword.

'You know I'll kick your ass if you lose,' shouted Ban.

'Be careful,' you said.

Diane made a high-pitched sound behind you and you turned to look at her. She was watching King with worried eyes. You smirked and turned back to watch King.

Guila laughed and raised her weapon. 'As you wish. So, whenever you're-'

Her sentence was cut short. Literally. Chastiefol sped by the knight, blowing her hair back and even cutting off some strands. A cut opened on Guila's cheek and she gasped.