Chapter 53 - The Light That Sweeps Away the Darkness

The early morning air was cold. You tugged down the cuffs of your coat before giving up and tucking your hands in your pockets.

Just go back to bed already. Meliodas's voice was exasperated.

You leant on the outlook's railing and stared in the direction you knew he was. Come home and make me.

There was no reply, but you could feel him start fighting the demons faster. You could see your laugh, your breath hanging in the air. Ever so slowly, the sun began to rise.

'Okay, I got a question,' Meliodas asked one of the recently liberated people. 'Where did these demons manage to capture all of you guys?'

'There's a village not too far from here that fell for an evil trap,' said the man. 'Those who live there and those passing through—'

[Y/n].

Yeah, yeah, I got it, you said, already straightening up.

It was night and you were flying once more. Finding the village had been easy enough, getting there not so much. Back aching and wings out of commission, you spent the day dodging the people who lived in Ordan, gathering information and helping where you could. Your interference led to a few close calls but you always managed to evade capture somehow.

Every now and then, you'd check in with Meliodas. He was fine, of course, having fun fighting with Ban again. Once their battle was over, you told Meliodas where Ordan was and the two of them started making their way to you.

By the time night fell again, you were ready to fly and took off to meet Meliodas and Ban.

'All right then,' Ban said. 'What's our next move gonna be?'

On the horizon you could see a tiny speck of light. You pushed yourself faster. The smell of smoke and cooking meat drifted up through the sky.

Meliodas hummed. 'Well, it seems like we're done rescuing the travellers captured by the Demon race like Bartra. So our next move is to take back Camelot Castle. At least, that's what it would be.'

You landed lightly beside Meliodas. 'But before all that, there's something else we've gotta do.'

Ban tensed slightly before relaxing. 'Jeez, you're a freak sometimes, you know that?'

You stuck your tongue out at him. 'It's all set,' you said, taking one of the skewers before sitting down. 'Merlin's ready to move when you are.'

Ordan looked quite peaceful. It lay below you, in a pretty valley with wheat fields and trees. Hearing more voices, you turned to find that you, Meliodas and Ban had been joined by the rest of the Sins and—

'Why did you bring Elizabeth?' you hissed at Merlin.

'My apologies.' Merlin shrugged and didn't look sorry at all. 'But you did say all hands on deck.'

Before you could say anything more, Elizabeth spoke up.

'Don't blame Merlin, [Y/n],' she said. 'I asked to come.'

'Besides,' said Escanor, his voice growing deeper by the second, 'this battle will be so easy that there is no need to worry for the princess.'

'According to my calculations, Escanor is indeed right. The risk in this battle will be nowhere near that of the fight against Hendrickson,' Gowther said unhelpfully.

You glared at them.

Meliodas stepped between you. 'Elizabeth, you should wait up here until the fight is done.' Elizabeth opened her mouth to protest but Meliodas quickly continued. 'After, you can help [Y/n] with the healing.'