Chapter 8 - The Fearsome Pursuer

'Ban!'

'King!'

Everyone's calls echoed through the Necropolis. Your eyes scanned the landscape for any movement but there was none.

'Man, where'd those two run off to now?' Diane asked.

'Yeah... This place is huge,' you muttered. Meliodas was up ahead with Elizabeth clutching his shoulders and you were trailing behind. A huge crystal was right next to the path and you looked at it blankly as you passed, watching how your reflection rippled and distorted. But then you stopped.

You blinked, rubbed your eyes and stared again.

That wasn't your reflection. Sure they looked like you, with your [y/h/c] hair and [y/e/c] eyes. And, okay, when you raised your hand the reflection lifted theirs.

But the person staring back at you had wings. Huge, feathery wings that ruffled and fluttered in a non-existent breeze. You reached over your shoulder and so did the reflection but there were no wings behind you. This was certainly odd. You reached out to touch the person but, just as your hands were about to connect, Meliodas called your name.

You whipped around to see everyone staring at you.

'Sorry, what was that?' Your voice was kind of shaky.

'Is everything all right?' asked Diane, bending down to you.

'Ah, yes,' you said. Your eyes flickered back to the crystal but now it was just your reflection. No wings. Just plain old you. 'Everything's fine.' You smiled and caught up with the group.

Everyone started walking again.

Did something happen? Meliodas's voice was soft.

You looked at Meliodas but he kept his eyes ahead. No... it's just... my back hurts.

Meliodas sighed. I'm sorry.

It's not your fault, you said and Meliodas bit his lip.

But then something changed. You felt it. You stopped walking and looked around. Beside you, Meliodas did the same.

'Is everything okay?' asked Elizabeth, still holding him.

'I don't think we're alone here,' said Meliodas.

Elizabeth gasped. 'Um, I don't see anyone around here but us.'

'Yeah, no ghosts have appeared and tried to scare us or anything,' said Hawk.

'Actually, I'd be terrified if one had,' Elizabeth said. Both she and Hawk seemed to suddenly realise what they were talking about so casually.

'There's obviously no point in hanging around here,' said Hawk with a valiant attempt at his usual bravado. 'Why don't we go look for those two now, what do you say?'

'Sounds good to me!' Elizabeth's voice was higher than normal.

And you all set off again.

You kept looking around. This strange feeling had you on edge. It felt kind of... familiar, but you couldn't put your finger on it.

What do you think it is? you asked.

Don't know. It doesn't feel like a ghost to me.

What does it feel like to you?

And then you felt something on your chest.

Heaven.

You slapped his hand away and felt the heat rushing to your face.