Chapter 58 - We Call That Love

'There's something different about you.' Nerobasta peered down at you.

You tried to look innocent. 'Oh really?'

She nodded slowly.

'Well, I don't know what it could be,' you said, leading the way outside. The gardens in the Celestial Realm were as perfect as ever. There wasn't a blade of grass too long or a tree with a single spotty leaf.

Nerobasta sighed. 'Oh, come on, [Y/n]. Everyone's heard the rumours.'

You ignored the way she looked at you even as your shoulders stiffened. 'Please, enlighten me.'

The words came in a rush. 'Ever since you've started spending more and more time in the human's world, people have been talking. And I don't just mean about your clothes.'

'My clothes?' You laughed lightly. So your dresses had gotten shorter, big deal. The way Meliodas looked at you meant you weren't going to stop. Besides, Sariel was showing just as much leg as you were and Nerobasta had always favoured lower cuts.

'But that's not all.' Nerobasta stopped walking. She looked around before grabbing your arm and pulling you behind a nearby marble pillar. Her voice dropped to a whisper. 'They say you've been ... cavorting with a ... with a ... Demon.'

'Cavorting with, huh? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?'

'So it's true?'

You started walking again. 'Maybe.'

Nerobasta was frozen for a moment before she hurried after you. 'But you're a Goddess! You shouldn't be sullying yourself with lesser races. Especially Demons. They're just beasts, filthy and insignificant. They—'

'Have you ever met a Demon?' you said quietly.

'No.' Nerobasta's lip curled. 'And I hope I never do. Unless it's on the field of battle when I will destroy every one that dares face me.'

You looked at your feet. 'I see.' It was quiet for a moment. 'I should get going. I have somewhere to be.'

But Nerobasta caught your wrist. '[Y/n], listen. I – We're friends. So I'm asking you, please stop this. Every time you come back home, you change. There's a darkness growing inside you. This peace is ending. The Supreme Deity herself says so. If you don't stop now, then it will hurt more later. And what's the alternative? To abandon your friends and family? Your entire race? To give up your life?'

Nerobasta's face held an emotion you had never seen on her before. It cut your sarcastic remark to pieces. So instead you held her hands and tried to smile. 'Thank you.'

And you flew away.

The sound of the rushing river calmed you slightly. You had flown right to the edge of the Celestial Realm – the very last floating island. The only thing past here was clouds. It was a place not many people came.

'There's something different about you,' said a smooth voice.

'Hello to you too, Ludociel.' You didn't look away from the sky. His footsteps got closer.

'I can't quite put my finger on what, though,' he continued as if you hadn't spoken. 'It's almost like there's a darkness growing inside you.'

'So I've been told.'

'Speaking of darkness, how is that little friend of yours? Meliodas, right?'

Now you looked (glared) at him. 'Don't pretend you don't know his name.'

Ludociel just smiled. 'How long did it take him to heal after our last meeting? I seem to recall a lot of blood ... and a missing limb.'

'Not as long as it took you to recover. This is the first time I've seen you in weeks.'