Chapter 50 - Return of the Sins

'I'm getting quite worried.' Elizabeth finished cleaning the last table and sighed.

[Y/n], who was wiping the bar, sighed too. 'Yeah, me too.'

'Huh?' said Hawk. 'About what?'

'A lot of the rumours recently have been saying there are streams of evacuees leaving Liones.'

Elizabeth felt her heart squeeze and twisted the rag in her hands. Her father and sisters ... all the other citizens ... Now that her worry for Sir Meliodas had been assuaged, the worry for her kingdom had moved to the front of her mind.

'Such rumours even reached me as I was travelling,' said Sir Zaratras with a frown.

'That must mean whatever's happening in the capital is serious.' Hawk snorted.

[Y/n] leant on the bar. 'The Ten Commandments would certainly want to overthrow Liones. It's the largest kingdom in Britannia and poses a serious threat. With that said, all the remaining Commandments will be involved in the fighting. Including Zeldris ... and Estarossa.'

The air turned heavy. In her mind, Elizabeth watched Estarossa stop Sir Meliodas's attack. She saw the twisted swords. As the grim images intensified, new ones were conjured by her imagination. Visions of her father and sisters standing before the Commandments. She swayed slightly.

'We have to help,' Elizabeth said, clenching her fists. 'My father and sisters ... all the people of Liones. I promised.'

[Y/n] nodded. 'If we hurry, we should be able to get there before the day's over.'

Hawk snorted. 'You heard her, mum. Let's go!'

The landscape started flashing by the windows. Trees and fields and a massive lake accompanied by the resounding footfalls of Hawk's mum. Sir Zaratras was just finishing putting his armour back on, but he left the helmet off this time. Elizabeth looked out the window and tried to not worry too much. Everything was going quite well – after all, [Y/n] did say they should be there soon – until Sir Zaratras's voice broke her concentration.

'[Y/n]? [Y/n], are you all right?' he was saying, one hand reaching out to [Y/n] who had a strange, faraway look in her eyes.

Over the past month, Elizabeth had gotten quite used to seeing that look, but there was something different this time. Not quite so sad.

'Can you feel that?' [Y/n] said, turning her head from side to side as if searching for something.

Elizabeth met Sir Zaratras's eye. He shrugged.

Hawk trembled a little. 'I don't feel anything. Is it coming this way?'

'What does it feel like, [Y/n]?' said Elizabeth softly. 'Maybe if you told us, we could understand.'

[Y/n] kept looking for the whatever-it-was. 'It feels like ... like ...' Then her eyes sharpened, focussing on the direction Hawk's mum was travelling. The direction of Liones. 'Nerobasta.'

Sir Zaratras put a hand on his chin. 'I don't think I've ever experienced feeling like Nerobasta before.'

'Is it like feeling hungry?' Hawk snorted. 'I've felt hungry plenty of times.'

Elizabeth frowned. 'Nerobasta ... is a person, right? Is it someone you knew?'

Hawk looked at her. 'How do you know that, Elizabeth?'

With what looked like a great effort, [Y/n] met Elizabeth's eyes. 'Yes. I did know her. A long time ago.'