Chapter 66 - A New Threat

The floor was cold but Meliodas was warm. You pulled him closer to your chest and leant against the edge of the Perfect Cube. Diane, King and Gowther had left a while ago, but Elizabeth and Merlin stayed. Elizabeth sat on the floor next to you, also leaning on the Cube.

'Do you remember everything now?' said Elizabeth, not looking at you and drawing her knees to her chest.

You fiddled with Meliodas's fingers. 'No. Not everything.'

Merlin folded her arms. 'By my calculations, it will take a while. Especially as we can't know what memories you are missing. If Meliodas was here ...' She trailed off with a sigh. You opened your mouth, but Merlin spoke first. 'And don't say you're sorry again.'

You tried to smile. 'Okay.'

'One time,' said Elizabeth softly, 'we went to a village on market day. I must have very young, I think. Dad carried me on his shoulders.' Her eyes were unfocussed as she spoke, a small smile playing on her lips. 'I don't remember much else, but there were these strawberry pastries.'

As Elizabeth spoke, your whole body relaxed like you were stepping into a warm bath. Breathing got easier. And the memory became clearer. 'You got cream all over your face,' you said with a laugh, 'and even in your dad's hair. I didn't tell him until we got home.'

Elizabeth giggled. Even Merlin smiled.

'Do you remember when we raced across that field up to the river?' Elizabeth asked, looking at Merlin with a wide grin.

'I remember you cheating.' Merlin huffed but still smiled.

'I didn't cheat.'

'Then how did you win?'

'Um, because I'm faster?'

Your vision blurred with unshed tears and you hugged Meliodas tighter.

'And then we went back to your house,' Merlin continued the story. 'Meliodas cooked.'

'Oh, that's right,' said Elizabeth. 'We didn't know you were coming over and it was his turn.'

You wiped your face with the back of your hand. 'Was that the time he tried to make a cheesecake?'

'Yes,' Elizabeth and Merlin said at the same time. They laughed and your heart warmed.

'You got angry because he used the strawberries you were saving,' Elizabeth said. 'So the next day he got me and Merlin up early and we went and picked more.'

'Oh, that's right.' Your eyes softened as you watched Meliodas. 'Then we made jam.'

Your memories were like a puzzle. So many pieces were missing but as Elizabeth and Merlin spoke, more fell into place. And now you knew none of the pieces were lost forever. But even as you rejoiced, guilt nibbled at your stomach. When Meliodas woke up, his emotions wouldn't be easy to retrieve. Even if you reached out through your ring now, his feelings kept going in and out of focus. You could still feel him, his hearts beating and his power spiking in time with yours, but if you tried to hold onto an emotion, it burst in your fingers like a bubble.

Zeldris watched the stones erode under Chandler's tears and fought not to roll his eyes. Honestly. It hadn't even been two whole minutes since they were released and Chandler and Cusack were already bickering again.

'Now get a hold of yourself,' said Cusack. 'It can't be helped. Meliodas betrayed the Demon race and he's a fugitive. Surely you understand that.'

'The prince did not betray us,' Chandler shouted, swelling indignantly. 'That boy was abducted by that scheming girl from the Goddess race. She kept him and his daughter under a wicked spell. Also, don't drop the Sir! You will refer to him as Sir Meliodas.'