Chapter 15 - Unholy Knight

'This kid's one of the Seven Deadly Sins?' asked Slader, his voice thick with disbelief.

'I can't believe it,' said the silver-haired knight next to Meliodas.

'I know,' said another voice, getting closer. Meliodas didn't turn to see who it was. 'But he stopped my fully-charged arrow with his bare hands. I just can't imagine some ordinary kid would be able to pull off a stunt like that.'

'That is correct,' said Gowther in the monotone voice Meliodas remembered from all those years ago. 'There can be no doubt. I am indeed Gowther the Goat Sin.'

The only sound was falling rain. Until Ban hopped in in the most Ban-like way possible.

'Woah.' Ban stopped right in front of Gowther and began to circle him. 'So back then you were wearing that armour, huh? Guess I always figured it was some giant old man who was stuffed inside there.'

'Given your posture, gait, tone of voice, attitude as well as that scar, I presume that you're Ban the Undead,' said Gowther.

Ban laughed. 'Now that's the Gowther I remember.'

The Roars of Dawn's confusion was funny, and so was their dawning realisation as they began to understand just who they were up against. But Meliodas kept his face blank.

'And that young boy who appears just as I remember him from years ago must be ...' Gowther trailed off.

Meliodas smiled. 'You got it. I'm Captain Meliodas all right.'

'Hold on,' said the silver-haired knight loudly, getting right in Meliodas's face. 'This little squirt is the leader of the Seven Deadly Sins?'

Meliodas turned to him. 'Yeah,' he said calmly. 'Surprised?'

'It's astonishing,' said Gowther with no sign he was astonished.

'You saying you can't tell from his face?' asked Ban. 'Then what do you think of that guy?' Ban pointed to where King was floating, still wrapped in the lightning ropes. 'Ready for this one? That's King.'

'No, that's someone else. Bone structure, voice and body odour – it all indicates another person, not King.'

Meliodas bit back a laugh.

'Odour?' asked Ban, eyes wide.

King frowned and transformed into his human form. The lightning ropes snapped. Well, that's one way to break free.

'It is him then,' said Gowther with no change in tone. 'Undoubtedly.'

Ban laughed. 'Wow, way to backtrack.'

Someone clapped, drawing Meliodas's attention. It was Slader.

'Wonderful,' said the leader of the Roars of Dawn. 'To meet not only Gowther but three of the Seven Deadly Sins? So happy.' Slader was almost singing. He struck a pose.

Meliodas watched the weird knight over his shoulder as he walked to stand beside Ban and Gowther. King drifted down to join them.

'Given the chance, I would love to challenge you,' Slader continued, 'but it's such a pity. In the very end, our mission today is solely to return home with that Armour Giant's head.'

Meliodas blinked and looked at Gowther. 'By the way, who's inside of that armour?'

'Well, I'm not really sure.' Gowther turned to look up at the giant figure that hadn't moved this whole time.

'Huh?'

'Now then,' said Slader, once again gaining Meliodas's attention, and brandishing his unnecessarily-large serrated sword, 'time to get to work.'