Chapter 73 - Beginning of the Holy War

You watched your friends' faces as Merlin's words rang through the air. Your respect and love for these people grew even more as they accepted everything they had just heard. With all the new knowledge they had been forced to carry over the past few days, part of you kept expecting them to say it was too much or too weird. After all, you'd had over three thousand years to process what was happening and still got overwhelmed. But they had stuck by you.

'The Holy Sword Excalibur,' said Hawk. The pig was currently being held in Escanor's arms the same way King hugged pillow-Chastiefol. 'A blade filled with the souls of so many human heroes. And now Arthur has been chosen as the next in line.' His little summary over, Hawk looked to Merlin. 'Hey, Merlin, you think once he gets his hands on that thing, Arthur can take down Meliodas and the rest of 'em all by himself?'

You looked away from the others before they could see the answer written on your face.

'Reality isn't always that simple,' was all Merlin said.

Before anyone could say anything more, a strangely familiar voice echoed in your head. 'Arthur is about to die,' it said.

Somewhat stupidly, you looked around for who had spoken. It sounded like Cath. But Cath wasn't anywhere close.

Merlin gave a strangled gasp and you turned to her instead. Her eyes were wide, her breaths shallow.

Diane reached out a hand. 'Merlin, what—'

'Wait.' You leapt to Merlin. 'Take me with you!'

But your hand closed around empty air. Merlin had disappeared.

A brief pang of guilt shot through Merlin as she ignored [Y/n]'s shout. But it was very brief. Especially as she heard Cusack's voice.

'As a favour, I'll simply crush your one heart and that will be the end of it.'

'Before you try it,' said Merlin, fighting to keep her voice steady, 'he's coming with me.'

She blinked and the Demons appeared in front of her. She heard Arthur's tiny gasp. And with a well-placed flick of a finger, Cusack was fully encased in a giant wall of ice. Merlin stopped the ice from spreading across all of Camelot but she did make sure to partially trap Chandler, Zeldris and ... Meliodas too. Pleased with her entrance, Merlin smiled.

No one else was smiling.

'I know you,' Chandler shouted, his face full of accusation.

Merlin ignored him. Instead, she knelt to pick Arthur up into her arms. Blood seeped through his clothes and he leant on her heavily, but his heart was still beating. 'You did well to survive this, Arthur.' She spoke softly, still fighting to keep her emotions in check.

A small, battered cat bounced over.

'You sent that telepathic message, right?' Merlin looked down at Cath. 'I owe you.'

'Merlin.'

That harsh voice made Merlin's body freeze. She turned stiffly to look at Meliodas. His eyes were sharp. He didn't smile.

'Enough of your games,' her former captain continued. 'Give me the Commandment of Faith right now.'

Pushing down her sadness, Merlin forced her eyes and voice to become cold. 'I know what you're trying to do. You're focussed on becoming the Demon King to save [Y/n] and Elizabeth, but don't forget about your friends. Because we're focussed on going out and risking our lives in an effort to save you, Meliodas.'

He didn't say anything. Didn't even move.

Just before Cusack could break the ice, Merlin held Arthur tighter and teleported back to the Boar Hat.