Chapter 31 - The Sacred Treasure Lostvayne

Elizabeth was in a field. Yellow grass stretched as far as her eyes could see. The sky seemed wider than before. A soft wind rustled through the grass.

What am I doing here? Somehow I can't remember anything.

As she looked around for a clue, the music started. It was like every blade of grass had a voice and was singing to her. And this time, Elizabeth could hear the words.

'When blood of light and blood of dark

join together in one heart

a fatal clash – friend on friend

the longest battle to finally end.'

Elizabeth didn't know what the words meant, but they were comforting. She felt like she had heard them before.

'So be it told that at her birth,

it did not only shake the Earth.

It shook the heavens, it shook the seas,

brought the mightiest to their knees.'

Two pieces of paper fluttered down from the sky. Elizabeth caught them. On one was the image of a man and the other had the image of a woman. They were familiar. Like the song.

Wait a minute ... that's right. I'm looking for Sir Meliodas or [Y/n].

Clanking footsteps. Someone was walking behind her. Elizabeth turned.

The man was taller. He had broad shoulders and a slightly stubbly chin. The woman at his side reached his shoulder. Her hair was down to her waist, her body graceful even standing still. They looked exactly like the people on the paper. They smiled at Elizabeth.

[Y/n]? Sir Meliodas? Is that ... is that you?

'And with her aid, all war will cease

and Britannia will finally know peace.'

You stared at Elizabeth's body. Tears started to obscure your vision and your heart threatened to leap out your throat.

Blood. Feathers. Broken. A heart that wouldn't beat.

It's not the same, said Meliodas's voice.

You span, looking for him, but he wasn't there.

Look again, he said.

I don't want to. You shook your head.

[Y/n]. Meliodas's voice was so soft. Look again. Tell me what you see.

So you looked again. The ground wasn't rocky. There were buildings. The sky was blue. No feathers. No blood.

Good, he said. What else?

You took a shaky step forward. You saw Elizabeth's chest rise and fall.

'See?' said Meliodas, this time from right behind you. 'Not the same.'

An unsteady laugh fell from your lips. You brushed your tears away. Meliodas crouched down by Elizabeth's head.

'Elizabeth,' he started to call. 'Come on. Snap out of it.'

You reached out to Elizabeth with a glowing hand. 'Elizabeth,' you said. 'Please.'

Before you could touch her, Elizabeth began to stir. Relief double strong flooded through you and Meliodas. Her eyes fluttered open.

'Oh,' she said slowly. 'Sir Meliodas ... [Y/n].'