Chapter 30 - Chaos

"It's been six days, Severus!" Rowan exclaimed as they released their last class for the day. It had been six days since anyone had seen or heard from Juniper Montgomery. The Yule Ball was in just three days, and Severus' birthday was in just two days. "They're trying their best, my dear. I'm sure she'll return in time for the ball on the 10th," Severus comforted as he helped Rowan clean up after that day's lesson. 

"I'm worried about her. What if she's stuck?" Rowan thought aloud as she placed the last of the cauldrons back on their shelves. Severus sighed, not knowing how to help. He didn't want to give her any false hope. 

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. "Enter," Severus said coldly, taking a seat back at his desk. Rowan turned and was greeted by Fred Weasley. "Professor Knight, can I have a word with you?" Fred asked with a small frown. "Sure, come on in," Rowan said with a weak smile. The longer Juniper was gone, the harder it had gotten for Rowan to crack a smile in conversations. 

Fred, not surprisingly followed by George, entered the potions classroom.  "Hi Professors," George said cheerily, taking a seat in one of the abandoned desks. Severus nodded in response before turning back to grading student's papers. "We were just wondering if you had heard anything about Juniper, right George?" Fred explained. 

"Right, Freddie," George replied, placing a comforting hand on his older twin's shoulder. Rowan sighed as she looked Fred over. He had asked the same question ever since Rowan had returned from Ilvermorny, and every time he asked, she felt more sorry for him. Fred looked as though he hadn't slept in months and he hadn't been eating as much as dinner. "I'm sorry, Fred. She's still not home yet," Rowan answered sadly. Fred nodded somberly, seeming as though he already knew the answer to his own question. 

"I knew we had only sent letters back and forth, but I truly feel something for her. I asked her to the ball, for merlin's sake!" Fred cried out, tears forming in his eyes. George Weasley didn't seem taken aback by his brother's outburst, almost as if it had been happening a lot. "They're doing all they can, Freddie," George mumbled, trying his best to be supportive of his brother. 

"No, they're not! You don't understand, none of you do!" Fred said as he scrambled to his feet and quickly fled the room, George following close behind him. Rowan sighed loudly and sat down in one of the student's chairs. "Why do you think she went and did all of this?" Severus asked as he leaned back in his office chair. "Do you think she got stuck on purpose?" Rowan replied, the exhaustion clear in her voice. She hadn't been sleeping well, and in turn, neither had Severus.

"The only way the time-turner would not have brought her back here is if she altered something. She would currently be in a time that is different from ours, even slightly. With the way the time turner works, she could be years in the future," Severus explained calmly, though he soon came to regret it. Legilimency was something that he was highly trained in, and usually, he could control what he hears and sees. While he has always had a hard time keeping Rowan's thoughts out of his own, he could feel the tug in his own mind. Rowan's mind had begun racing wildly. 

"Years!? You mean to tell me that Juniper could be in her seventh year while we are still here?!" Rowan shouted, her hands flying up and tugging on her own hair stressfully. "I doubt it would be so drastic, but yes. That's not exactly what I am worried about," Severus admitted, not sure if he wanted to share his fears. Rowan's eyes locked on his own, motioning for him to go on with his thoughts. 

"Well, whenever the dark lord first perished there was some talk of using time-turners to make a reality where he didn't die. I fear that whatever she may have changed could have ended her in a world where the dark lord lives," Severus gulped as he clutched his forearm harshly.