Chapter 43 - A Mother's Love

"I do apologize, but Albus has asked me to speak with you for a different reason," Minerva explained as she peered down at the notebook in front of her. Rowan should have known she wasn't just pulled aside to return her necklace. "Of course, go ahead," Rowan replied as she sat back down in her chair. Minerva smiled and nodded, opening her notebook and opening it to a filled page. 

A million different scenarios found their way dancing throughout Rowan's mind. Perhaps this was nothing bad; something simple such as sorting out sleeping quarters now that she and Severus had gone public. Somewhere deep inside her, though, Rowan had a feeling it couldn't be good. She just hoped it had nothing to do with her disappearance. Thinking of those times in the basement made her sick; and not just because of her pregnancy. 

"As I am sure you know, assistant positions here at Hogwarts are temporary. A professor must reapply to have an assistant and Albus must approve it," Minerva stated, picking up a pair of reading glasses off of her desk and slowly putting them on. Rowan simply nodded, afraid to speak. "Severus- well, he hasn't put in an application yet. To be completely honest, I'm fearful that Albus won't approve of it since you two have found- quite the connection," Minerva's words made Rowan's stomach begin to turn once again. The thought of leaving Hogwarts caused deep and sharp pains in her heart. 

"Professor, you can't fire me. I would have no means to support-" Rowan stopped herself, her hand flying to her mouth. It seemed that, whether she liked it or not, she was about to lose her lunch. Taking all her might, Rowan took a deep breath and shook her head. "Rowan, are you alright?" Minerva asked, concern growing in her voice. Rowan thought for a moment; thought about lying and saying she had gotten sick from being in her mother's disgusting basement. It wouldn't be hard to believe, but Rowan was tired of facing this alone. It hadn't been long at all, and Rowan felt weak for caving so quickly.

Shaking her head, Rowan felt tears prick at the corner of her eyes. "No, Minerva. My life is falling apart as soon as I got it back," Rowan explained vaguely, not sure if she could say the words Madam Pomfrey had. Reaching across the desk, Minerva grabbed ahold of Rowan's hand. "You can't fire me, Minerva. I have more than myself to support now," The wheels in Minerva's mind seemed to turn as she tried to figure out the puzzle within Rowan's words. "I'm sure Severus can support himself-" 

"No, not Severus," Rowan chuckled softly before placing her free hand on her stomach. Furrowing her brow, Minerva turned her head. Rowan watched as the woman tried to figure out what was going on. Suddenly, Minerva gasped quietly as she finally understood. "You are with child?" She asked, a small gleam appearing in her eyes. Rowan nodded, tears now openly streaming down her cheeks. 

Minerva smiled and stood up, quickly rushing over to be beside Rowan. "Rowan, what's the matter? This is a wonderful thing," Rowan thought back to her childhood; her father was always working and her mother was less than compassionate toward children. In that way, she resembled Severus. There were multiple occasions where Rowan had overheard her mother say that having a child not only ruined her marriage but her life as well. 

"Wonderful? Minerva, I can't be a mother! And Severus- oh, Severus. He'll hate me for this. He hates children, you have to know that!" Rowan pleaded, wishing someone would see the tragedy in what was happening. Both Madam Pomfrey and Minerva had shown so much excitement at this situation, and it only made Rowan feel more alone. Minerva simply chuckled, nodding her head. "Yes- Severus isn't the greatest with children," She seemed to cringe at her own words. 

Letting out a shaky breath, Rowan nodded in agreement. "I have seen how you are with the children here at Hogwarts. I am sure you will be a great mother," Minerva tried to get into Rowan's stubborn mind and try to change any doubt she had. Though, they both knew that would never happen. "You've seen the foul monster my own mother is. I am so afraid to become her,"