Chapter 24 - Returning Home

Rowan watched from afar as many students at Hogwarts ran through the wall and entered Platform nine and three-quarters. She was waiting a few moments per the request of Severus. He wanted to lower any suspicions and had decided entering after one another would help with that.

"C'mon Ro, it's been long enough," Juniper giggled and grabbed Rowan's hand. As they pushed their carts together, they disappeared into what seemed like thin air. "What a rush!" Rowan exclaimed as they entered the other side and into the wizarding world. "You never get tired of all this, do you?" Juniper asked before waving quickly and entering the student's compartment. 

Rowan briskly walked over to where the teacher's compartments were and sat down beside Severus. He was already joined by Professor McGonagall and Professor Trelawney. "Good morning Professors," Rowan said, nodding to each of them. While McGonagall and Trelawney looked fairly pleased, Severus had an annoyed scowl on his face; One that he hadn't had this morning.

"How was your break, Rowan?" Minerva asked with a sly smile. Apart from Albus and the silver trio, she was the only one who knew of her relationship with the potions professor. "Very pleasant, Minerva. And yours?" She responded quickly as she shifted uncomfortably. She wasn't used to this much space between her and Severus. He hadn't allowed any space at all during the break, as he was very protective around Blaise ever since the events that occurred. 

"Oh, wonderful! Sybill was just telling me about how she spent the holidays with her sweet cat," McGonagall said as cheerfully as possible. Everyone knew that Trelawney mostly spent her holidays alone ever since she had divorced her husband. According to the rumors that Rowan had heard, it was because she refused to take her husband's last name. Higglebottom

"Oh, it was delightful. How about you, dear? How did you spend your holiday?" Trelawney asked Rowan, who was surprised that the professor had even asked. They hadn't spoken once since she arrived back at Hogwarts. "How did I spend my break? Well, I spent it with a few of my friends," Rowan said, nervously looked at Minerva who wore a knowing smile. Now that she knew that Minerva was involved with Dumbledore, she had started to see the similarities between the two. 

"Professor Snape, did you enjoy your break?" Rowan asked, turning slightly so that their knees bumped for only a moment. Severus' lips upturned only slightly before his usual frown returned. "It was...enjoyable," Severus said without further explanation and turning to face out of the window. 

Moments passed and not another word was shared between the group. It seemed that Trelawney had fallen asleep and Minerva was busy reading the paper. Severus shifted as he slipped off his coat and placed it in the space between Rowan and himself. Rowan watched as Severus hid his hand under the coat, and motioned for her to do the same. Rowan chuckled quietly as she obliged. Severus seemed pleased with himself as he interlaced their hands out of sight.

Minerva seemed to notice what was happening as she had watched the whole event unfold. She laughed to herself and returned to reading, causing Rowan to blush wildly. "I feel like a child," Rowan whispered so that only Severus could hear her. "Would you prefer this?" He whispered back as he removed his hand from hers. Before confusion could take over Rowan's mind, Severus had wrapped his arm around Rowan's shoulders, bringing her closer to him. 

Rowan's eyes widened as she looked up at Severus, who seemed rather satisfied by himself. "Severus, what if someone sees us?" Rowan protested quietly, fearing what the others would think of them. "My dear, frankly, I don't care," Severus chuckled as he kissed Rowan's forehead softly. Rowan calmed down slightly and leaned against Severus' chest, becoming sleepier the more she did.

"Sleep, my love. I'll wake you once we arrive," Severus said without removing his gaze from the window. "Severus, what happened to nobody finding out about us? What about your stone-cold reputation?" Rowan asked with a baffled giggle.