Chapter 1 - Assistant Professor

It had only been a few months since the end of Rowan's seventh year when she was requested to meet with Dumbledore. A million thoughts rushed through her head when she had received the letter from her old headmaster. She began to wonder if Millicent had gotten angry that Rowan hadn't been able to stay. After all, Millicent was in her fourth year now. Or maybe Juniper really had hexed Snape like she said she would. Juniper was now in her third year. Rowan shook her head from those thoughts. There was no way it had anything to do with her best friends, school hadn't started yet. There were still two days until the students were due for arrival.

Anxiously, Rowan entered Dumbledore's office, ready to take full responsibility for her friend's actions. She whispered, "Sherbet lemon," and gained access to the headmaster's office. "Rowan, thank you for coming so quickly. Have a seat,' Dumbledore said as she strode over to his desk and sat down opposite of Rowan. "I'm sure you have some idea of why I asked for your presence," Dumbledore said as he peered over his half-circle glasses. "I'm sorry, headmaster. I'm afraid I don't," Rowan shifted in her seat, trying to find some comfort in this situation. "Surely you have heard about the job opening here at Hogwarts. Severus has requested an assistant,"

Rowan's heart leaped at her old potion professor's name. Composing herself, she shook her head. She truly hadn't seen an opening in the papers, not that she had been paying much attention to the news anyway. Ever since her mother kicked her out once she returned from Hogwarts in her sixth year, she hadn't been able to keep steady housing until Blaise had offered her to stay with him. She had been staying with the Zabini's for well over a year. The Zabini's hadn't been keeping up with the news either, as Blaise's mother had been working on planning her seventh wedding. "I suppose Severus hasn't had time to owl you a letter," Dumbledore shook his head disappointedly, but Rowan's confusion only grew. "Headmaster, excuse my ignorance, but why would he have sent me a letter?"

Dumbledore let out a small chuckle before silently offering Rowan a lemon drop, which she declined. Unwrapping the small candy, Dumbledore popped in his mouth and answered Rowan's question. "I should have known Severus would be too proud to tell you. He asked for you by name, Miss Knight." Rowan's cheeks immediately flushed red and while she tried to hide it, Dumbledore smiled knowingly. "You were always one of his favorite students. If you choose to accept, I will need you here tomorrow morning. I know it is short notice, but as you know, there is minimal time before students are welcomed back to Hogwarts," Dumbledore added as he began to unwrap another lemon drop.

"I would be honored to take this position, Headmaster. I just need to return home and gather my things. I could be back tonight if that is alright," Rowan answered excitedly. She was most excited to see her friends daily again, but a part of her was excited that her favorite teacher had been thinking of her. "That will be just fine, Miss Knight. Though, I must warn you, your quarters are right beside Professor Snape's. I hope that will be alright," The way Dumbledore had phrased it seemed like he already knew what her answer would be. "That's just fine, headmaster," Rowan began, but she realized she would not make the next train back to the Zabini Manor in time to collect her things. "I have to go!" Rowan stood up in a frenzy.

"Miss Knight," Dumbledore said, sliding a small cup of floo powder over to her. "Oh, heh. I forgot about that," Rowan said as she took a small pinch of floo powder and mumbled the words Zabini Manor clear as day. With a gust of green flames, she was back at her home.

Back at Hogwarts, however, a certain professor stood just outside the door to the Headmaster's office. "Severus, you do know you are welcome anytime," Dumbledore called and Professor Snape jumped in surprise. "I am aware. Thank you, Headmaster," Severus said as he took a seat where his new assistant had just been. "You heard the news, I suppose. Miss Knight will be joining our staff this year as your assistant," Dumbledore said, not looking up from the papers on his desk. Severus did his best to cover a smile with a scowl, though he knew he could never trick Dumbledore. "You know, Severus. I told you when you came to me that you should ask her yourself," Dumbledore said as he scribbled down something with his quill. "Yes, I know, sir. I didn't want her getting the wrong idea-"