Chapter 3 - Hello, Severus

After just a few hours of sleep, Rowan awoke to the sound of tapping on her office door. With an annoyed groan, she stepped out of bed and onto the cold floors of her bedroom. She gasped as she had to adjust to the cool air. Why can't we have central heating? Rowan thought to herself as she quickly threw a cloak over her barely covered body and opened the door to see what the tapping was.

Much to her surprise, there were two owls waiting at her door. One brown with grey specks surrounding its eyes, the other almost all black except for a small white spot on its belly. She recognized the black one to be Juniper's owl. They both held letters in their beak, which Rowan gladly accepted as she gave them each a pat on the head. She looked down and realized that they were from Millicent as well as Juniper, and that made Rowan tear them open excitedly. She decided that she would open Juniper's first since it seemed that the black owl that belonged to her had been waiting for quite some time.

Rowan,

What do you mean you're back at Hogwarts? What does all of this mean for you? For our friend group? Don't bother replying, I'll visit you first thing after the sorting tomorrow. You have to explain everything! Also, have you heard from Blaise? He hasn't returned my letters... Nevermind that. See you soon!

Rowan smiled brightly as she read her best friend's excited letter, but that letter did bring up some good points. What was to happen to their friendship now that Rowan was part of the staff? Surely not much would have to change, she would treat them as she usually would. Next, Rowan opened Millicent's letter.

Rowan Lennox Knight,

I swear you should have been a Ravenclaw. You somehow got your way back into Hogwarts AND you work for the dungeon bat? You're brilliant! I can't wait to see how this all will unfold. Knight if you dare give me detention so help me I will put a curse on you and feel no remorse. On a separate note, did you hear that Lockhart will be returning to Hogwarts? Not to teach, of course. Instead, he is doing research! Hey, maybe he'll ask me to be his assistant? One can only dream. I'm sorry you got stuck with the old bat, but hey, maybe he won't be so bad? See you soon!

Rowan frowned at the negativity toward Professor Snape. She had only told Blaise of her feelings because he had gotten curious. Juniper had asked some questions, but Blaise covered for her. Millicent hadn't really noticed anything since Gilderoy Lockhart started teaching at Hogwarts last year. Maybe she wouldn't have to tell them at all? She would be professional with Professor Snape, and only Blaise and his mother would have to know.

Shaking her head, Rowan quickly went into her bathroom and changed into a pair of plain black robes. She took a pin labeled Slytherin and placed it on her collar. Just because she was no longer a student didn't make her any less of a Slytherin, at least not in her mind. With a smile plastered on her face, she exited her room and began to walk absentmindedly down the hall.

At first, her thoughts were filled with what the next years would have in store for her. Soon, they all became about the man she now worked for. She wondered if he would treat her as a student or as an equal. Perhaps he would show her some kindness now that she was no longer a student.

Just as she was about to make the turn to the Great Hall, she ran into something tall and solid. She fell flat on her back with a hard thump. Holding her head, she looked up and was horrified with the eyes that met hers.

"Miss Knight, I do have to ask that you keep your daydreaming for when you are alone," Professor Snape scowled as he brushed off his black cape. "I'm so sorry, Professor!" Rowan began as she started to pick herself up. Before she could, Professor Snape offered her a strong hand which she gladly took. Whenever she had stood up, they stayed like that. Hand in hand, eyes locked onto each other. Professor Snape was the first to break eye contact as he pulled his hand away as if he had been burned.