Chapter 49 - The Malfoys' Ball

Just as Rowan said goodbye to the last of their guest to leave, which just so happened to be Eileen Snape, a brown and sophisticated-looking owl flew into their room. Rowan gasped, ducking as it flew where her head had been only a few moments before. "Rowan!" Severus exclaimed, quickly running over and cupping Rowan's face, which had received a small scratch where the owl's letter had skimmed by her. "You're hurt," Severus said, his voice almost at a growl in anger. 

"It's only a scratch, Sev," Rowan huffed as she touched her cheek with her finger, wincing in discomfort. Severus' eyes darkened as he turned his attention over to the owl, who was now balanced on the back of a wooden chair. "Whoever is responsible for this will be-" Severus suddenly stopped as he clutched the letter tightly. "Rowan, dear, it appears we have forgotten we have somewhere to be tonight," Severus said sheepishly, and turned around to show that he was holding a letter with the Malfoy's family crest stamped on the front. 

Rowan thought for a moment, slightly confused for only a moment. The past few months had been so crazy, and they had made many plans that hadn't been able to come to fruition. "The Malfoy's, my love. They had invited us to their anniversary ball when I had gone over to help Lucius," Severus explained as he skimmed the letter. Rowan almost laughed at this; seeing as when she had talked to Bellatrix not long before now, she hadn't mentioned anything. "When are we due to be at Malfoy Manor?" Rowan asked, walked over to peer over Severus' shoulder. 

"In only two hours, I'm afraid," Severus replied, handing over the letter to Rowan so that she may look over it. Turning his attention over to the owl, Severus begrudgingly walked over to his drawer and pulled out a few Eeylops Premium Owl Treats. "A peace offering, you foul creature," Severus mumbled and held out his hand. After the owl had eaten a few of the treats, it flew back out the door it had come in. Luckily, nobody was injured this time. "Severus, the poor thing didn't mean to scratch me," Rowan said, almost in a scolding manner as she placed the letter on the table beside her.

A part of Rowan couldn't believe she had forgotten about such an extravagant thing, but then again, she had been kidnapped and found out she was pregnant in such a short amount of time. Nothing could have prepared her for something like that, and so it was pretty understandable that she may forget a few plans. "Rowan, just as I have told you a million times before, I will protect you. I'm not letting anything happen to you again," Severus started as he disappeared into the separated bedroom. "We don't have to go, you know," 

"Nonsense, Sev! We already said we would go," Rowan replied as she walked into their bedroom to find Severus shirtless, rummaging through his closet. Smirking slyly,  Rowan sat down on the bed and put both of her arms behind her to prop her up. If she was careful not to make much sound, she could enjoy the show. "Legilimens, my dear Rowan. You cannot sneak up on me," Severus chuckled as he turned around with a dress shirt clutched tightly in his hands. Walking over to Rowan, Severus grabbed her hands so that she was laying flat on the bed. "Those eyes," Severus mumbled lowly, leaving a slow and sensual kiss on Rowan's neck. Rowan gasped at the contact, Severus' scent filling her lungs. 

Pulling away, Severus smiled devilishly as he left her with only a quick peck on the lips. "You're evil," Rowan pouted, running her fingers along her neck. She knew he did that on purpose, and he knew everything it did to her. "Careful with your words, Miss Knight. I can show you evil if you so choose," Severus warned as he began to button his shirt. Leaning up so that her chest was pressed against his, Rowan bit her lip seductively. "Allow me," Rowan said as she took his shirt into his own. Severus' breath began to become shaky as Rowan only got closer with each button she did. When she was on the last one, she placed a kiss on his chest and suddenly stepped away. Severus gasped at the loss of heat but smirked at Rowan.