Chapter 13 - Labelling

Blaise had been right to be annoyed at Rowan for her requirements. It had taken him until almost the end of the day Friday to complete his potions test, and by the time he had finished, there was barely any daylight left. "I'm done!" He exclaimed as he slammed his quill down onto his desk. Rowan jumped nearly ten feet out of her chair, causing Severus to smirk in her direction. 

"Finally! Bring it up here, Zabini," Rowan said as she yawned lightly. Blaise stood up proudly and placed it in front of Rowan, who was sitting at one of the front student desks. "Can I ask now?" He whined and Rowan smiled, nodding her head. 

Nothing had changed with Severus and Rowan's relationship. They hadn't even kissed again, though Severus had been holding her hand any chance he could get, not in front of the students of course. 

"What question?" Severus asked, raising his eyebrow at Rowan, who only nodded toward Blaise. "We're leaving for my house in the morning and we need to settle the sleeping chart," He said, turning back to Rowan for confidence. Blaise gulped as the terrifying professor stared blankly in his direction. "I offered that we sleep by gender, to avoid any awkwardness," Blaise began, his voice becoming small under the gaze of Severus Snape. 

"I will be fine sharing a bedroom with Professor Knight," Severus said, turning his attention back to the test that he had been grading. Blaise's jaw dropped to the floor as he turned back to Rowan. "Are you two dating or something?" Blaise whispered to Rowan a little too loudly. "I assure you, Mr. Zabini if my relationship status changes you will be the first to know," Severus said in a gruff voice. Rowan smiled apologetically at Blaise before she dismissed him to go and pack for the next day's trip.

She had been getting that question a lot lately. It seemed a lot of people were interested in the fact that Severus had shown any interest in her at all. Just yesterday, she had caught Professor Flitwick betting with Professor McGonagall about when she and Severus would finally make it official. So far, not placing a label on whatever they were hadn't caused any problems. That was until Rowan's mind began to work against her. 

Juniper's words had gotten into her head and Rowan began to question if she did love the potions professor. She couldn't admit it to him, though. She knew that they were more than just co-workers, but where on the scale she had no idea. Were the two of them friends that shared a few kisses? Perhaps they would just become friends with benefits and he would toss her aside whenever he was done. Rowan didn't think Severus would ever be so cruel to her, but her mind thought otherwise. 

"What is on your mind, Rowan?" Severus asked as he placed his quill back into the inkwell and strode over to where Rowan was sitting. "You aren't reading my mind anymore?" Rowan joked but Severus didn't seem to find it comical. Instead, his face stayed in its usual stone-cold stance. "It can get tiring," He replied simply, still waiting on the answer to his original question. "I'm just worrying myself on silly things," Rowan lied, glad that he wasn't going to dive into her mind. 

"Why don't we take a walk? To clear your mind," Severus said, holding out his hand for Rowan to take. Sighing loudly, Rowan stood up and accepted his offer. They left his office and Severus immediately released her hand. Rowan frowned, her mind only becoming more troubled. She decided that she would test and see whether Severus truly thought of her as more than a simple friend. 

"So, Severus. I heard that Madame Maxime from Beauxbatons has recently become single," Rowan started, scanning Severus' face for any sense of emotion. His face didn't change in the slightest. "Oh?" He replied simply, not really seeming interested in the topic. Maybe he would prefer someone closer to Hogwarts? Rowan thought, trying to think of someone from her graduating year. The only person that came to mind was Zoe Accrington.