Chapter 54 - Loyalty and Love

Rowan slowly sipped her glass of water as she waited in The Three Broomsticks for her company to arrive. Early this morning, Rowan had woken up early to finish grading a few assignments to help Severus, though she wouldn't let him know that. She had made certain that he had been asleep before she got up from the bed and found her way to a small desk in the corner of the room. While she was finishing up the last assignment, a small gray owl quietly tapped along the door to their shared bedroom. Attached to its leg was a small note reading simply;

Meet me at The Three Broomsticks immediately. Make Haste. 

                                                - B. L. 

Had Rowan not recognized Bellatrix's handwriting, there was no way she would have even thought about leaving the protection of Hogwarts. Nevertheless, Rowan scribbled a note for Severus and placed it on her pillow where she was sure he would find it and grabbed a thin jacket that now barely covered her growing stomach and was quickly on her way. There was no way she would make it back from Hogsmeade in time for breakfast, but there might still be time to make it to her first class of the day- that was- if  Bellatrix decided to show her face within the next few minutes.

"Would you like something to eat, dear? I'm sure I can find something," Madam Rosmerta, who owned The Three Broomsticks, asked quietly as she slid another glass of water to Rowan. "No, I should be alright until I can make it back to Hogwarts. I'll be on my way as soon as Bellatrix Lestrange arrives," Rowan replied through a yawn as she turned to look at the door which hadn't opened since Rowan herself had arrived. "What an odd pairing you two make," Madam Rosmerta said under her breath before disappearing into the backroom once more. 

Rowan felt her eyelids start to become heavier as she traced circles onto the bar top with her wand. Just as she was about to fall asleep, the doors to The Three Broomsticks slammed open with a loud thud. Rowan felt herself jolt awake as a very angered figure appeared beside her. Before Rowan knew what was happening, she felt two strong arms wrap around her torso holding her tightly. As she took a breath to say something, she could immediately tell who held her in their grasp. His familiar smell was intoxicating as she took a deep breath. "You cannot do that to me, my love," Severus huffed gruffly, his hold on her only tightening. 

Chuckling, Rowan shook her head as she fought to ease his grip. Though, when she had guilt flooded her body. His body was tense and the look on his face said it all; he was scared she had been taken from him again. "Sev, I came to meet Bellatrix. She hasn't arrived yet, but I'm sure she'll be here any minute now," Rowan explained as she lifted her hand and placed it on his cheek. He leaned into her touch, a single tear falling from his eye. "Sev..." Rowan called out but Severus' eyes were closed tightly. Standing up, Rowan pulled Severus' arm and guided him to take the seat she had just been in. Placing both of her hands along the side of his face and kissed him deeply. As they broke apart, Severus' eyes slowly fluttered open. "I am here, Severus. I'm with you and I'm okay," Rowan whispered and it seemed that he was finally coming back to reality. "Fuck..." Severus huffed as buried his head below her breasts, leaning against her bump. 

Rowan ran her fingers through his hair, humming a random tune she had remembered from her childhood. She felt his body relax into her as he began to lean up. Immediately, his face hardened again as he looked behind Rowan. 

"How dare you call her out alone in the middle of the night? How daft can you be, Bellatrix?!" Severus began gruffly, his hand clutching his wand tightly. Sure enough, entering the door was none other than Bellatrix Lestrange. Tonight, though, something was different in Bellatrix. Her hair was messier than usual, and she didn't have any snarky remarks for Severus. She simply pushed passed him and fell into Rowan's arms. "Bellatrix?" Rowan said, looking more closely at her friend's face. She looked tired and hurt; small streaks of black led Rowan to believe she had been crying.