Chapter 11 - Secrets Unveiled

!TW: Mature Themes/Mention of blood!

It had been late that night when Rowan had finished her portion of the test. While she was decent at potion-making, she had a hard time finding a way to word her questions in a way that would make it easier on the students. Since she was finished, Rowan decided that she would go and see how Severus was getting along, as he had started much after she had. 

Leaving her office, she tapped on his office door softly. "Come in," She heard a disgruntled voice say and she entered his office to find him with his hand against his head. "Hey, I came to see if you need any help?" Rowan said, walking over and taking a seat against his desk. "Thank you, Rowan. I'll be fine," Severus replied through clenched teeth. He had been staring at the parchment so long that it had given him a headache. 

"You need a break, Severus," Rowan said as she reached over and grabbed his quill, placing it back in the inkwell. Severus sighed as he knew she was right. He didn't usually take breaks and that could be a factor on why he was so harsh when grading. Rowan half-smiled and turned so that she was completely facing Severus. "What are your plans for winter break?" Rowan asked and Severus' eyes raised to meet Rowan's. 

"Usually, I stay here. Why do you ask?" He inquired as he leaned back in his chair with a groan. He had just now noticed just how tense his back had been from sitting in the same spot all day. "Well, you know I'm going to Zabni's manor. I know we haven't exactly said what we are and that's okay. It's not that I'm pushing anything on you, I swear. It's just that nobody should be alone on Christmas and-"

"Miss Knight, you're ranting," Severus chuckled as he watched her face turn bright red. "I was just wondering if you would like to join me," Rowan said in a hushed tone, turning her eyes down to the floor. At first, Severus didn't know how to respond. He rarely ever had a reason not to be at Hogwarts during Christmas, and when he did, he would simply return to his shabby home on Spinner's End and read his various books until it was time to return. 

Severus stood up so that he was towering over her, not to much to intimidate her as it was to calm her loud thoughts. He slid his finger underneath Rowan's chin and raised her eyes to meet his gently. He rubbed her cheek with his fingers as his thumb ran across her lips. "What did you say?" Severus asked, searching her face for any once of regret. He needed to know if, in the back of her mind, she didn't want him around. Rowan simply reiterated her question in response. "Will you join me at the Zabini manor for Christmas?"

Severus smiled and gently pecked Rowan on her plump lips. "I would love to," He said and Rowan began to reach for his forearm excitedly. Instinctively, Severus pulled away from her quickly. He took a few steps away from her and Rowan gasped in shock. She felt both confused and hurt. He had said that he would accompany her during Christmas, but did he not mean in the same way she did? Severus began to storm away into his bedroom, but Rowan called out to him. 

"Severus, please," She called out and he stopped dead in his tracks. Rowan's breath began to shake as the rejection had begun to set in. "Don't walk away again. If you truly think of me as more than a coworker, don't," She pleaded, tears growing in her eyes. 

Severus reached out to the forearm she had briefly touched and shuddered. He knew this would have to come out at some point. Previously, whenever she had seen him in short sleeves, he had been under a charm that hid his dark past. He felt no need to have the concealment charm on him whenever he wore his long sleeves. 

"Rowan, I need to show you something," Severus began as he turned around to face her. His heart dropped to his stomach when he saw the tears threatening to leave her eyes. As much as he wanted to reach out and comfort her, he couldn't bear to touch her until she knew the truth.