Chapter 14 - Hogwarts Express

"Come on, Severus!" Rowan exclaimed with her large trunk trailing behind her. Severus had refused to pack last night and now, they were barely making the schedule to go to the Zabini manor.

"I don't see why we can't floo to the Zabini's," Severus grumbled as he took a huge gulp of coffee. "Because Blaise has to get food first and if we take the train to platform nine and three quarters, we can make it there when he returns," Rowan exclaimed with a cheerful laugh. She could tell that Severus wasn't too excited about leaving Hogwarts for winter break. Rowan understood, seeing as this is where he had spent the majority of his time.

"Let's go," He said monotonously, tucking his wand into his waistband. Since they would be leaving the wizarding world, Severus wasn't wearing his usual long bat-like robes. Instead, he was wearing a top with buttons that traveled all the way up to his neck and black pants. He didn't look much different than before, but Rowan certainly did. 

She usually wore her old student robes or just plain black ones around Hogwarts. Today, she was wearing a knitted red turtleneck and light wash denim jeans. She didn't own many clothes that weren't her house colors, or just plain black. It wasn't that she didn't like wearing other colors, she just enjoyed being a Slytherin and felt she had been wrongfully cheated out of the five years she missed while at Ilvermorny. 

They walked together, but with Severus a few feet ahead, to the carriages that would take them to the Hogwarts Express train. They planned it so they could keep their new relationship status between just them and her friends. Rowan had already set it up that they would be in a compartment with Juniper and Millicent while Blaise used floo to travel ahead of time. This wouldn't raise any questions at all. That was, until they were spotted together. 

"Oh! Severus, are you spending your Christmas with someone special?" Professor Sprout exclaimed, catching the attention of Professor McGonagall, who seemed busy saying goodbye to the students. Rowan blushed a deep red as she tried to slow down to avoid the attention. "Someone special?" Severus asked with a tilt of his head. "Yes! Ah, Rowan dear! Is Severus spending his holidays with you? I knew you two would get together before the holi-" Professor Sprout began, but Severus interrupted her. "I will be spending my holiday, Pomona, at my own home. My assistant's business is none of mine," Rowan began to smile but hid it with a yawn. "I'll see you after the break, Professor!" Rowan said as she began to walk out toward the carriages that would take them to the express. "Call me Pomona, dear!" She heard the old lady call out but decided not to respond. Instead, she got into an empty carriage and moments later was joined by Severus.

He placed his trunk on the seat opposite of Rowan and sat next to her. Rowan's face quickly turned a dark shade of red. It only worsened when Severus reached down and placed his hand on her knee. "As if it was any of Pomona's business how I spend my time," he grumbled, his face twisted in irritation. Rowan shook her head and chuckled at his response. "What's so funny?" Severus said, giving her knee a light squeeze. 

"The way you react to certain situations," Rowan said simply as she looked up at her new partner. She wished she could tell her sixth-year self how everything would play out. That her situation would be better, and that one day she would be sitting next to someone who stayed despite the fact she had murdered her muggle father. Of course, she knew her sixth-year self would have never believed such things. Rowan was many things, but an optimist wasn't one of those. 

"I am nervous," Severus said as the thestrals began to pull the carriages. The thestrals were one of Rowan's favorite magical creatures with their dark aura that seemed to match her own. Turning away from the carriage window, she looked up at Severus. "How come? Christmas is soon!" Rowan said with a bright smile. Christmas had always been her favorite time of year.