Chapter 4 - Legilimency

"Rowan Lennox Knight if you do not come and give us hugs right this instant!" Rowan heard a strong female voice say from behind her. She quickly turned around and ran over to her three best friends as they entered the Great Hall. Millicent quickly engulfed her into a huge hug, while Blaise settled for a quick one. They had just seen each other the other day, so this wasn't surprising. 

"Juniper, how about you?" Rowan asked with her arms open wide. Her youngest best friend's face blossomed with a large smile as she fell into her arms. "I was so upset that you weren't going to be here this year," Juniper said with a small sniffle. "It's all okay now, Juni! I'm here to stay," Rowan replied as she comforted her friend. 

Rowan's eyes noticed McGonagall walking in with the first years so she quickly said her goodbyes to her friends and took a seat beside Severus at the staff table. Unfortunately for her, Lockhart found himself sitting beside Rowan once again. 

The sorting this year was uneventful, though they gained quite a bit of Slytherins this year. This seemed to please Severus as he looked at the now overflowing Slytherin table. Not as many as Gryffindor had, but the turnout was still successful. Before they all began to eat, Dumbledore stood up and gave his usual speech. That is until he mentioned Rowan. "As many of you know, Rowan Knight was a student with us last year but she has recently joined our staff team as an assistant potions professor, I would like you all to treat her just as you would any of your other professors...I'm looking at you Zabini," He began, making Blaise jokingly hold up his hands in defeat. "I would also like to welcome our back Gilderoy Lockhart who is here to write a new novel on Hogwarts," Lockhart stood up and took a bow as hundreds of young girls whistled at him. "Lastly, I would like everyone to welcome our newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Remus Lupin!" Rowan joined in clapping as a man she hadn't noticed waved shyly. "That is all, now celebrate!" Dumbledore finished and the Great Hall erupted in conversations. 

"Severus, are you excited to have the children back?" Lockhart asked as he talked over Rowan. "Most certainly not," He answered, causing Rowan to chuckle. "They're all dunderheads with little to no respect for knowledge," Severus finished, taking a small bite of a dinner roll. "I don't remember being that much of an idiot," Rowan added with a playful frown. "I am certain you were a great student! Were you a Ravenclaw as I was?" Lockhart asked as he turned his full attention toward Rowan. "Heh- No. I am a Slytherin," Rowan said with an annoyed tone. "Ah, that explains your closeness toward our dear Professor Snape!" Lockhart offered and Rowan said nothing on the matter. When nobody had said anything else, Rowan looked over at her friends at the Slytherin table. Blaise winked at her and she rolled her eyes back at him. 

"Rowan, I was wondering if you would like to accompany me to Hogsmeade on a date?" Lockhart asked abruptly, causing both Severus and Rowan to choke on their respective drinks. "I- um. While I would love to- You see I have this-" Rowan was stumbling over her own words and saw no way out of it this time. She would be forced to accept his offer. 

"She is going to be busy helping me write lesson plans, Lockhart. She has no time for trivial things such as dates with you," Severus almost hissed the last word as his dark eyes shot a threatening look at Lockhart. "Oh, my apologies! I had no idea Rowan would be so busy! Another time then," Lockhart said as he stood up from the table and began to greet some of the new students at the Ravenclaw table. "Thank you, Severus," Rowan said with glee in her voice. 

"I couldn't sit there and watch you drown yourself, Miss Knight. Perhaps you should spend less time staring at Mr. Zabini and more time paying attention to people your age," He said with jealousy laced in his voice. Rowan was confused, so she just ignored him and continued to eat her food. 

The night ended with Rowan and Severus walking back down to the dungeons with the first-year students before silently retiring to their respective rooms. Rowan had a feeling classes would be...interesting...tomorrow. That was for sure.