Chapter 38 - Belief

Severus waited for several hours for Juniper Montgomery. His office had been silent ever since Rowan's disappearance. While he would never admit it, he loved the way she would ruin the quiet moments. Before she had returned to Hogwarts, he had loved when he could sneak away and read by himself. Now, the feeling of being by himself drove him mad. There was nothing he could do to fill the void that Rowan had left; not even her favorite music. A single tear fell down his cheek as he clutched her wand in his hand. 

"Professor," A small voice called out from the open doorway. Wiping his eyes quickly, Severus rose from his chair and walked toward Juniper Montgomery, who stood beside Fred Weasley. "How may I help you?" Severus scowled, slipping Rowan's wand into his pocket. Juniper looked around anxiously before she and the Weasley boy stepped into his office. She uttered a spell that would lock the door before turning around to face Severus. Surprisingly, she looked panicked. 

"She has Rowan," Juniper blurted as she began to pace around the room. Severus simply looked over to Fred, who seemed equally as confused. "Who has Rowan?" Severus snapped, his voice sounding both angry and relieved at the same time. Juniper stayed silent for only a moment, seeming to think over her own thoughts. "Evanora," She said simply, not turning to face Severus or Fred. 

While Severus despised Evanora Knight, he didn't think she was capable of pulling off the kidnapping of her daughter while being so involved in the investigation. It was overly risky and too complicated for someone such as that foul woman could come up with. "Juniper-" Fred tried, but Juniper whipped around and stared deep into his eyes. If looks could kill, Severus worried for Fred's safety. "Evanora Knight is a foul witch, but that does not mean she kidnapped Rowan. What proof do you have?" Severus asked as he walked back over to his desk and took a seat. 

"Tell him, Fred. Tell him what you saw," Juniper urged, shaking the boy's arm lightly. In the seven years Severus had known Fred, he hadn't ever seen the trickster so unnerved. Clearing his throat, Fred took a deep breath. "Her mother had on a black necklace with what looked like a green gem. I only commented that it looked like Professor Knight's, not that it was hers," Fred explained, wrapping an arm around Juniper's shoulder. He looked torn and Severus couldn't tell between what. 

Juniper looked satisfied with Fred's response, but Severus wasn't. Evanora Knight, in her Hogwarts days, was a Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw's are known for their intelligence and it would be extremely disastrous if she were to not only kidnap her daughter but to wear something so unique and individual to Rowan. When Severus didn't respond, he could see the young Slytherin begin to shrink. 

"Of all people, I thought you would believe me," Juniper choked, anger becoming apparent in her body language. Severus wanted nothing more than to have hope that Rowan was somewhere as obvious as Evanora's home, but that would be foolish and reckless of Evanora; she was neither of those things. With a large sigh, Severus turned his attention to the Weasley boy. 

"Mr. Weasley, please escort Miss Montgomery back to her dorm room. I cannot take much more of this," Severus ordered through clenched teeth as he stormed out of his office. He wanted Rowan back just as much, if not more than Juniper, but he couldn't risk his job grasping at straws. As Severus walked the empty halls, he remembered everything that had transpired over the course of the school year thus far. 

He walked down the hall when he had first seen Rowan since she had returned. Thinking back, he found it entertaining that Rowan had been daydreaming and had run right into him. Taking another turn he was left where he had found Rowan and Gilderoy Lockhart; it was then that she and Severus had their first kiss. The thought of never feeling those sparks again almost brought a tear to his eyes.