Chapter 7 - Fireworks

TW: Slight mention of assault

Rowan had fallen asleep against Millicent's strong shoulders. They had spent the night catching up in an attempt to get her mind off a certain potions professor. Though it had worked for the night, it didn't help her when she awoke. 

She looked out of her lone window and found that the moon was still out. She couldn't have slept for more than a few hours, and if she had to guess, it was around midnight. She looked around at her friends and saw that Juniper and Blaise were curled up together on her couch. She smiled at them, noting how cute of a couple they would make. She smiled and opened the door to her office. She would only take a small walk to clear her thoughts, then she would return to her quarters. 

She started to walk down the cold corridors, the cool wind of breeching autumn brushed against her skin as small kisses. She couldn't wait until the cold air had completely set in and she could travel to Hogsmeade with the students. 

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by footsteps. She turned around and saw nothing, so she decided that she would keep walking. It was probably just a student sneaking into the kitchens again. Though the more she walked, the closer the footsteps got. 

This time, when Rowan turned around, she was met with the face of Gilderoy Lockhart. "Gilderoy! You scared me," Rowan exclaimed, but as soon as she spoke she had wished she didn't. He smelled heavily of firewhiskey and didn't seem to be able to stabilize himself. "Rowan!! I was lookin' fer yooou," Lockhart slurred as he brought one of his hands up and poked Rowan on the tip of her nose. 

"I- How much have you drank tonight?" Rowan asked as she tried to take a few steps away from him. He only cornered her against the cold stone walls. "Lockhart, what are you doing?" Rowan asked nervously, looking around for a way to get away. She couldn't find one, and she had left her wand back in her room. "Come on, sweetheart! I know you haaad to defend Severus back when he had that little fight but he isn't here! We can be together," He said, leaning in and smashing his lips against Rowan's forcefully. She pushed him away and he stumbled back, a bottle of firewhiskey smashed to the floor. 

"Oh? Playing hard to get are we?" Lockhart slurred and looked at Rowan as if she was her prey. Before she could run, he had her trapped in between his arms once again. "Lockhart, no," Rowan said, shaking her head. "Hush, Severus isn't around," He hissed as he ripped her robes off of her. She gasped as the cold air hit her bare shoulders. She hadn't been wearing a shirt underneath her robes since she hadn't thought she would see anyone on her walk. 

"Prepared are we?" Lockhart said and smashed his lips down onto hers once more. Rowan pushed at him, but she wasn't strong enough to move him this time. "Help!" Rowan screamed, hoping that someone would come and save her. Lockhart slammed his hand down onto her mouth. "We don't want that, now do we?" He said as he reached around to unclasp her bra. Tears fell from Rowan's eyes as she feared what would happen next. She squirmed and tried to fight, but she hadn't gotten much rest and the firewhiskey seemed to be helping his strength. 

Lockhart got annoyed that in his inebriated state, he could not unclasp her bra. However, his agitation didn't last long before he moved on. He placed two fingers into the sides of her jeans that she had been wearing underneath her cloak. She shook her head wildly but he didn't seem to care. This was not the same Lockhart that has asked her on dates. This was a whole new version of him that scared Rowan. If he had done this to her, how many other girls had he taken advantage of?

Just as Lockhart was about to be successful in his mission, a tall figure came around the corner. She squirmed harder than he had been before, hoping the figure would come and help her. "What are you- Rowan? Lockhart? You little- Stupefy!" The figure yelled and Lockhart fell onto the ground unconscious. Rowan looked up and saw that it was none other than Severus Snape.

"Rowan, are you okay? I heard you yell from my quarters," Severus asked and Rowan collapsed into his arms. At first, Severus stood there, stiff. Soon, he had relaxed and held her close. He turned and saw that Lockhart was beginning to wake up. He took his cape off and wrapped it tightly around Rowan. He turned to Lockhart and rolled his sleeves up. 

"I always knew you were nothing more than a slimy git," He said and punched Lockhart square against his nose. Rowan could tell that he wouldn't be waking up from that any time soon. Rowan immediately felt guilty. She had never seen the potions professor in anything other than his usual robes, but he stood now in sweatpants and a plain t-shirt. She looked down at her robes, which has been torn in half. She knew she had two choices. Keep Severus' cloak or put back on her broken robes. 

"Sev-" Rowan started but Severus stopped her. "Rowan, please. I am so sorry," He said, taking her hands into his. Rowan's heart skipped a beat, but she kept her calm. "For what? You don't need to apologize for not liking me back," Rowan chuckled half-heartedly. "Not liking- Rowan, no. My amortentia reminded me of you," He said, taking both of his hands and placing them on the sides of her face. "I wanted to tell you, but I thought you hadn't returned my feelings. I was just shocked to find out that what you had smelled had matched with mine," Severus explained as he rubbed the tears away from her cheeks.

"So, you didn't regret what happened in your classroom?" Rowan asked in disbelief. "No, of course, I didn't regret it. I thought you had," Severus replied, a smile creeping onto his face. "Honestly, I thought you liked Blaise Zabini," he admitted, the thought seeming kind of silly now. "No, he and I are just friends," Rowan whispered, losing herself in his dark eyes. Severus searched her face for any sign of uncertainty, and when he found none, he leaned in. 

Their lips collided and molded together as if they had always been meant for each other. Fireworks exploded in Rowan's mind as the moment she had been waiting for had finally come to fruition. They moved like works of art, Severus' hand slowly sliding down to her neck. He pulled her into the kiss deeper, losing every worry he had ever had. 

Moments later, they both parted, out of breath. Severus leaned his forehead against hers and she cuddled into his touch. "It's late," She said as she tried to hide a small yawn. "That it is, Miss Knight," Severus said as he reached down and interlaced his hand in hers. "I'll walk you back to your quarters," He said and she nodded silently, picking up her shredded robes. "I'll return your cloak whenever we get to the dungeons," Rowan said as she pulled it closer around her and Severus only nodded. 

They had reached her door and when Severus reached to open it, Rowan caught his hand. "Hypothetically, how mad would you be if there were three students in there?" She said sheepishly. He gave her a disappointed look and shook his head. "Are there three students in there, Rowan?" Severus asked in a cold voice. Rowan nodded and took off his cloak. She held it out to him and covered herself with her hands. He took it hesitantly and shook his head. He was about to turn around when his eyes widened in realization. 

"Is Blaise Zabini in there?" He asked sternly and Rowan nodded, confused. He quickly removed his shirt and gave it to her. Her eyes widened at the sight of his body. At first, she had only noticed how firm his chest was but slowly, she started to notice all types of scars on his body. He pulled his cloak over him in an attempt to hide them, before explaining himself. "I don't want him to see you like that," He said, his eyes darkening. He placed his hand against the side of her throat and leaned in, giving her a small, lingering peck.

Rowan blushed and slipped on Severus' shirt. It smelled heavily of him and the scent intoxicated Rowan. "I will see you tomorrow in the Great Hall, Professor Knight," Severus said with a small smile. "I'll see you then," She said and they each retired to their respective rooms. Rowan was exhausted from the night's events, so she slipped under the covers of her bed, careful not to wake Millicent.  With a deep breath, sleep consumed her. 

Severus, however, was far too angry to go to sleep. Not at what had happened between him and Rowan, but rather at how Lockhart had acted. He was angry at himself for not arriving sooner, but also that Lockhart dared to lay a hand on what was his. He had warned the moronic man before that Rowan was his assistant, though Lockhart hadn't seemed to have gotten the idea. Severus would find a way to make him pay. Leaving him with a broken nose on the cold ground of Hogwarts wasn't enough. 

Severus slipped out of his cape and looked at his body in the mirror. He had seen the way she had looked at him, and he knew that if he wanted their relationship to continue any further, he would one day have to explain. There would be a time for that, but that time was not now. Their relationship was far too complicated, for he didn't know what they would become. For now, they were co-workers who had shared a kiss. He could only hope that one day they would become more.