Chapter 20 - Merry Christmas

"C'mon! Get up, get up!" Rowan could hear Juniper yell as she ran down the halls. Rowan groaned loudly in annoyance as she angrily pulled the covers over her head. "Detention with Filch in the forbidden forest for the next person to talk to me," She hissed, obviously still half asleep. Severus, who had long since been awake reading a book he had brought from home, chuckled softly. "While I love a good punishment, it is nearly eight in the morning. She's been at it since six," He said as he placed a folded piece of parchment in his book and set it down on the bedside table.

"Eight? Eight?! Does she not realize we are on a break?" Rowan complained, reaching over and grabbing ahold of Severus' arm. "The irony of it all," She continued, shaking Severus slightly. "Would it help if I told you I have two gifts for you?" Severus asked as he placed a small kiss on her forehead. While her body seemed to perk up at his words, her eyes stayed glued shut. "No," Rowan said plainly, pulling the blanket tightly around her.

"What if I told you that you need to open one when we're alone?" Severus' eyes seemed to darken at only the thought of what he had bought for her. His words finally made Rowan's eyes open, the grey seeming blue in the pale light of the room. "Severus Snape, what did you get me?" Rowan giggled groggily.

Severus didn't answer her verbally. Instead, he stood up from the spot he had been comfortably reading in and seemed to stride across the room. Inside his trunk, he pulled out a gift that seemed to be tightly wrapped in silvery paper that shined when any light had hit it. "You can have this once you get up," He teased, waving the box around in the air.

"What?! No fair," Rowan whined, sending a warning glare toward her lover. "I've never been a fair man," Severus said plainly, not moving from his spot near their bedroom door. With a loud and annoyed sigh, Rowan flung the blanket off of her and stepped out of bed, her hair seeming to have a mind of its own. Severus couldn't contain his laughter as he chuckled deeply at the sight of her. Despite his reaction, she had never been more attractive to him.

"Shut it, Severus! I don't see you with perfect hair," She said, grabbing her wand and with a quick wave, her hair became contained. Severus only shook his head with a small smile as he held out the gift to her. Rowan quickly snatched it away, mumbling a small thank you.

She carefully removed the wrapping, which seemed to slightly annoy Severus. It wasn't as if he had wrapped it himself. He had asked the store clerk to do so and paid extra for it. When she had finally gotten to the present, her eyes widened. A bright smile crawled onto her face as she pulled out a brand new invisibility cloak. "I had to open this in private?" Rowan asked, confused.

"You wished to keep our relationship quiet among the staff, and I wish to keep it quiet among the students. This way, you can come to my office whenever you may wish and not worry about anyone seeing us," Severus explained with a small wink. Rowan's eyes widened more as she got what he was trying to say. Rowan got up and hugged him tightly, kissing his cheek as she pulled away.

"Now, come. Miss Montgomery will have our heads if we don't get down there," Severus said, holding out his hand to motion Rowan in front of him. Rowan raised her eyebrow, as they usually left together before Severus would fall behind her. When she began to walk forward, he understood completely. Severus firmly smacked her ass as she walked past him. "Severus!" Rowan yelped, turning to smile at him. "Yes, Miss Knight?" Severus asked innocently, receiving a bashful look from Rowan.

The pair walked down the stairs and saw that their presents had already been laid out in individual piles. Blaise, who looked like he was asleep with his eyes open, gave a small and tired wave to them. Rowan and Severus chuckled and sat down in their usual spots where they each had a similar pile of presents. Millicent, who was actually asleep was startled awake by their presence.