Chapter 6 - Amortentia

"Have you seen Professor Knight, Severus?" Dumbledore asked as breakfast ended and everyone had started toward their classes. He hadn't seen her since last night, but that was none of the headmaster's business. "No, I haven't. Not since our classes last night," Severus lied as he remembered what all had happened yesterday. 

"I will watch over your first class, you go and check on her," Dumbledore said, but before Severus could decline, the headmaster was already on his way out. Severus had been trying not to think of Rowan. After their interaction in his classroom, Severus had been ready to finally accept that his feelings were more than just professional. After she had run away last night, Severus had seemed to conclude that she didn't actually want him. 

As he approached her office door, he heard her small and beautiful giggles. He quickly hid behind the wall and listened in on the conversation. A part of him knew it was wrong, but the other part of him knew that he was no stranger to doing what was wrong. 

"Thank you Zabini. I needed that talk," Rowan said as she engulfed her long time friend in a hug. "Anytime, Ro. I have to get to potions, think you could walk me?" Blaise asked and Severus assumed that Rowan had said yes because soon she had passed him without noticing his presence. So that is why she rejected me, Severus thought. Of course, she was in love with the young Zabini boy. They had always been close, Severus didn't know how he could have missed it. 

He walked into his classroom a few moments after Rowan so that it would not be suspicious. "Professor! I was just preparing the amortentia for today. I had been so busy getting it prepared I missed breakfast and-" Severus quickly interrupted her. He couldn't bear to look into her eyes knowing that, not only did she not love him, she loved another. "Silence, Miss Knight," Severus peered over the cauldron to see the perfect pearl liquid. He had taught her well, but that was not the point of today's lesson. 

"Can anyone tell me what exactly amortentia is?" Severus asked coldly, turning his back on his assistant. Unfortunately for Severus, only Blaise Zabini had his hand raised. The girl beside him, Millicent Bulstrode, looked pleased that her partner knew the answer. "Yes, Zabini?" Severus offered, trying not to let his feelings get in the way. "Amortentia is the strongest love potion in the wizarding world, although it doesn't create real love. It is supposed to smell like what attracts you most," Blaise explained with his chest puffed out in confidence. Severus visibly scowled at him but continued with his lesson. 

"Now, everyone get in a line in an orderly fashion. I will allow you all to describe what you smell," Severus said as he took his place beside the cauldron. He looked over to Rowan, who was looking rather disappointed. "You too, Professor Knight. It is only fair," Severus offered and Rowan quickly went to the back on the line.

After a few students had gone, it was Blaise Zabini's turn. "And you, Mr. Zabini. What is it that you smell?" Severus asked, almost on edge and in fear of his answer. "I smell flowers, something like sweet-peas. And old parchment, along with ink," Blaise said with a small smile. It was just as Severus had expected, that was exactly what he himself smelled. He knew that Blaise, too, was in love with Rowan. 

Severus eagerly waited, almost running out of time, until Rowan was at the front of the line. She took a whiff of the intoxicating liquid and her eyes widened. "And? What is it, Rowan?" Zabini asked from his desk, earning a glare from Professor Snape at the use of his informal language. "I smell, leather. Like from the binding of books and something kind of...bitter?" Rowan said, knowing that what she was smelling was the professor that stood next to her. 

The two looked into each other's eyes for the first time that day, and Severus noticed that she had dark circles under her eyes. He began to worry if she had been getting enough sleep. Looking away, he cleared his throat. "Class is dismissed. I expect a fourteen-inch paper on the risks of amortentia due this time next week," Severus said as he slid down behind his desk. He watched as Rowan went over to talk to Blaise, and anger panged against his heart.