Chapter 39 - Queen's Dinner

"Expecto patronum!" Severus screamed with all the strength he could manage. He had been at it for a few hours now and nothing but a few sparks came of it. He was sure he had woken up at least a few students with his screaming, but he was sure if he just tried hard enough, something would have to occur. "Expecto pat-"

"Severus, give it up," Minerva's voice could be heard clear as day as she emerged onto the courtyard in a fluffy robe. Defeated, Severus sighed and took a seat on the cold grass. If he had woken Minerva, he had certainly woken a few students. That woman took the meaning of a cat-nap to a different level. "You don't understand," Severus whispered quietly. He could feel the breeze suddenly stop as Minerva sat beside him in the grass. "If you want to act as if I've never lost anyone before, you can. If that is what will make you feel better," She spoke, slightly annoyed. 

Severus knew some of what Minerva had been through in just a short amount of time. Her life had been filled with loss. Severus could remember Minerva sobbing silently over a man she chose to call only by his last name; McGregor. From what Severus could understand, he was a muggle man that Minerva almost married. Even to this day, Minerva could swear on her life that the muggle was her soulmate. However, she later married Elphinstone Urquart whom she lost tragically. 

"I know she's out there, Minerva. I can feel my heart pull to her," Severus muttered as he reached into his pocket and removed Rowan's wand. He held it out to Minerva, who gazed longingly at the wand. Minerva reached out and closed Severus' hand around the wand, offering a weak smile. "Rowan spoke to me before the yule ball. She seemed troubled but I didn't want to push her to speak. Do you think that could have had something to do with her disappearance?" Severus could hear the slight panic in Minerva's voice. 

Shrugging slightly, Severus shook his head. "Juniper Montgomery is convinced that Evanora Knight is responsible for Rowan's disappearance," Severus stated, hoping that Minerva would agree that the child's way of thinking had many flaws and was not feasible. "Have you looked into this claim?" Minerva asked, leaving Severus utterly shocked. 

"No, Minerva. The claim is-," Severus tried, but he was quickly cut off by Minerva, who was more than angry at him. 

"If we have learned anything this year, Professor, it is that Juniper Montgomery will go after what she believes is true. If she truly believes that Evanora has anything to do with Rowan's disappearance, she's already halfway to that woman's home," 

Severus could feel his heart drop to the bottom of his stomach. He should have known that Juniper would go alone if he hadn't believed her; she had gone back in time for less. "Gather the Weasleys, Bulstrode, and Zabini if they are still here. I will get Albus," Minerva spoke hastily as she rose to her feet. Severus nodded and ran off down the hall toward the Gryffindor dormitory. He couldn't help but remember when he and Rowan had raced to the great hall down this same corridor. The more he thought of her, the more he could feel his mind tug at him to leave Hogwarts and find her. 

With all that he could muster, Severus tried to use his powers in legilimency to reach out to her. To no avail, all he could think was a phrase that Rowan had spoken just a few days prior. I know I love you. 

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

Rowan hadn't taken her eyes off of the food in front of her ever since Fenrir Greyback had forced her to sit down. While she hadn't sat down without a fight, she was weak. Rowan had refused to eat and has overwhelming nausea from what she could only assume was a concussion. Her body ached in longing for Severus. All she wanted was to hear his voice once more, and with every passing hour, Rowan knew her chances of surviving were slim to none.