Chapter 48 - Emerald Trio

"Calm your mind, my dear. Your thoughts are quite loud," Severus mumbled groggily as he turned over and placed his arm protectively around Rowan. If she had to guess, it was around two in the morning and she hadn't slept a wink. In just a few hours, they would be inviting their friends into their quarters for a special breakfast. It was during this breakfast that they would announce the big news, and Rowan couldn't be less excited about it. 

Cuddling closer into Severus, Rowan listed as Severus breathed deeply. It was clear that the sound of her thoughts was keeping him awake. "I could sleep in my quarters for tonight. I don't want to keep you awake," Rowan offered, but as she pulled away Severus' grip only tightened around her waist. Shaking his head, Severus pulled Rowan closer and pulled the blankets over the two of them. "Nonsense," 

Smiling softly, Rowan tried her best to quiet her mind. It was times like these where she wished she had taken Severus up on his offers to teach her occlumency. She would simply keep Severus from hearing her thoughts, but alas she hadn't thought they would ever be in this situation. Of course, Rowan wouldn't change a thing about how everything had occurred. Through this time of uncertainty, she and Severus had grown much closer and their communication had advanced and become more successful in avoiding misunderstandings. 

Tomorrow, Rowan would wake up and become known as the professor's assistant who became pregnant with her boss's child. She was sure the other students of Hogwarts would be excited, but there was a part of her that knew her trio of students that she held closest to her heart would be the opposite. Especially Blaise Zabini.

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

The smells of many breakfast foods filled Severus' quarters as he began to set out the plates. As usual, Rowan had insisted that they do this by hand without using any magic. In her own words, it adds a sense of passion to whatever task one was doing. Severus had chosen not to wake Rowan up just yet, as the guest wouldn't arrive for another half hour. He was doing everything he could to make sure she felt her best for the special announcement that he was going to be making.

Severus knew Rowan thought this breakfast was to announce their child, and it was. Though, Severus had many other plans. None of which could he think about freely. Ever since Rowan had returned to Hogwarts after the horrible acts of her mother, she had seemed to have a heightened sense of what people were thinking. All of this was common when a witch or wizard is just starting to learn legilimency; though Rowan's seemed to be heightened from what was usual. Neither Severus nor Rowan could explain why. 

Just as he was about to set down the last plate, there came a quiet knock on the door. Furrowing his brow, Severus quietly placed down the plate and quickly stalked over to the door. He would have sworn he told everyone to come later than expected. Opening the door, Severus was met with an unexpected and familiar face. "Hello, Severus," 

"Mother? What are you doing here?" Severus asked as he watched his mother walk through the doorway and into his quarters. She was dressed as if she were going to a funeral; resembling Severus almost exactly. She wore a long and black corset-style dress and a long coat that vaguely looked like Severus' cloak. The only difference was Eileen's wand was hung on the outside of the coat, as it had been simply slipped through a homemade loop. "Your headmaster sent me an owl last night inviting me to breakfast. Did- oh, dear! Did I read the letter wrong?" Eileen exclaimed as she quickly reached down and began to rummage through her purse. 

Suddenly annoyed, Severus sighed and shook his head. Albus would go out of his way to try and make everything idyllic. Holding out his hands, signaling for his mother to stop rummaging too loudly, Severus forced a smile. "Ah, of course. Yes, it is today but it's not for another half hour and-"