Chapter 51 - Quidditch and Suspicions

"Does this mean I'll have to call you Professor Snape as well?" Juniper asked as she slide her emerald green robes over her shoulder. Millicent shook her head as a smile crept onto her face; Rowan knew she had always had a strange way of showing her excitement. Rowan sat in the Slytherin common room, just like she used to when she was a student of Hogwarts. She had wanted to tell them privately, as they were her friends and had been there for her since the very beginning, but like always, each of them had a plus one. Anywhere Blaise went, Draco Malfoy was not very far behind. Juniper always had Fred Weasley tailing behind her, and Millicent could usually be found with her arm around Luna Lovegood. They had formed their own group when Rowan became Severus' assistant, but they always welcomed her back in with open arms. 

Blaise sat silently on the couch beside Draco Malfoy looking as if someone had just smashed his heart; Rowan knew it had been her that made him feel this way. Smiling weakly at Blaise, Rowan couldn't help but feel bad. She had never had any sort of feelings for Blaise, but he has been such a huge part of her life and she would never forget all that he and his family had done. Blaise shook his head as his eyes dropped to the ground. Just as Rowan was about to get up and comfort him, she watched as his shoulders began to shake; not with grief, but with laughter

"Promise to name the baby after me? I'm thinking Blaize-ina for a girl," Blaise chuckled as he stood up and quickly wrapped his arms around Rowan's shoulders. "Up for a walk?" He asked as he held out his hand in front of Rowan. Sighing in relief, Rowan nodded as she quickly said her goodbyes to the rest of the students in the common room. As soon as they were away from the Slytherin dormitories, Rowan shook her head. "I am not naming my baby Blaize-ina,". A loud laugh burst from Blaize's chest as he threw his head back. Rowan missed seeing him like this, and surprisingly enough, she missed how he would act before Rowan had become an assistant professor. 

Blaise's smile slipped away silently as his scowl crept back onto his face. "How far along are you?" He blurted awkwardly as he wrung his hands. Rowan thought for a moment. "I think ten weeks. I'll have to ask Madam Pomfrey," Blaise nodded as he stopped walking and leaned against the wall. Rowan could tell he wasn't as happy as he was letting on, and she couldn't blame him. Rowan joined him on the wall and they both slowly took a seat on the ground against it. "I'm not that great at legilimency yet. You gotta tell me what you're thinking," 

Blaise nodded as he bit his lip anxiously and slowly, a single tear rolled down his cheek. Pursing her lips so that she wouldn't frown, Rowan simply laid her head against his shoulder. Comforting Blaise the way she always had. "You know I will always love you, Rowan," Blaise said, his voice trembling slightly. Before Rowan could respond, Blaise spoke again. "I've let you go. That morning you invited us to breakfast, Severus asked me for your hand in marriage," 

Rowan inhaled in surprise, remembering when she saw the two of them sneak out after her pregnancy announcement. "I didn't know he was going to do that," Rowan admitted, smiling slightly at the man Severus had become. Blaise nodded as he laid his head on top of Rowan's. Taking a shaky breath in, Blaise looked down at Rowan slightly. "I'm sorry I've been such a jerk to you. I just- I was just terrified to lose you. You've got a whole life of your own now," Blaise admitted, and while Rowan had the intuition that Blaise had begun to cry, the last thing she was going to do was point it out. Her head stayed planted on Blaise's shoulder because as soon as Rowan would look, he would run. He had always been like this, ever since they had met all those memories ago at the Slytherin table. 

"They've offered me a full-time job here. Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall haven't said much about it though," Rowan said. Blaise nodded in silence, but the silence was not awkward or scary. It was a silence of understanding and acknowledging. "Heh, you think they'll let me be your assistant?" Blaise joked as she shook his shoulder a little, causing Rowan to chuckle. "I don't know if I should take up the offer. Being a mother seems hard, Blaise,"