Chapter 31 - In A Different Life

"That's it, all of them. All of the memories I have from that different reality. You two will be able to see them now?" Juniper asked as she took her wand out of the pensieve. It began to swirl with various images, all of which were from Juniper's memories. "We should be able to," Severus answered coldly. He was glad that Juniper was back, but he feared what he might see inside her memories. There was no telling what all she had changed.

"When you guys come back from my- er- that reality, I have something to give you. I promised an old friend I would," Juniper said vaguely with a sad smile. Rowan nodded and grabbed Severus' hand. With a small sigh, they both leaned into the basin and were suddenly brought back to a time they both seemed to remember.

───── ❝In A Different Life ❞ ─────

"Look, there I am!" Rowan exclaimed as she ran over to her younger self, Severus not too far behind her. Rowan could recognize this day like any other, the day she met Juniper. It was during the sorting ceremony. "There I am, watching over you," Severus noted, staring up at himself.

"Why are we- Oh, look! It's Juniper!" Rowan shouted in pure excitement as she watched McGonagall place the hat over her best friend's head. Juniper was mumbling something to the hat, something that Rowan didn't remember happening on that day.

"Not Slytherin, aye? Fine then, better be... Gryffindor!" The hat called out, shocking Rowan down to her core. Rowan had nothing against Gryffindors, but she knew that the Juniper she knew and loved would rather die than be placed into that house. She had grown to love Slytherin.

"This is what she changed. She asked to not be put in Slytherin," Severus said, shock spread across his face. Rowan's mouth fell ajar as she watched her best friend prance over to the Gryffindor table and take a seat beside Hermione Granger. The strangest thing, Juniper was happy.

Suddenly, Rowan and Severus felt themselves being dragged into another memory. They quickly grabbed each other's hands and watched as the world before them morphed into the hallway just outside of the Great Hall.

───── ❝In A Different Life ❞ ─────

"Rowan! Hey, Rowan!" Juniper called out, her red robes standing out against her black hair. Rowan turned around, looking surprised and annoyed. "How do you know my name, kid?" She asked with disgust laced in her voice. "Oh, of course. I keep forgetting all of this stuff. I'm Juniper Montgomery and I think we're gonna be great friends," Juniper chimed merrily. "Listen, I don't know you. I don't want to be your friend, freak,"

"What the hell? Why am I such a bitch?" Rowan exclaimed loudly, looking at Severus who seemed to be thinking the same thing. Severus only shook his head and examined the situation. "You walked to the dungeons with Millicent, Blaise, and Juniper on your first day. Look now," Severus pointed out as he nodded toward Rowan's younger self. She had been walking alone.

"C'mon, Juniper. We'll be your friends even if that stupid Slytherin won't be," Hermione mocked, causing a young Harry Potter and Ron Weasley to snicker. "Yeah, okay," Juniper agreed, sadness blatantly obvious in her voice. Juniper walked away with the golden trio, only turning around once to see if Rowan had a change of heart.

"Why am I alone? Where are Millicent and Blaise?" Rowan asked Severus as she looked around. Finally, she spotted them. Except, they weren't together. In fact, they weren't near each other at all. They seemed to be almost strangers. "Blaise is with Draco and Millicent is with Pansy. Millicent hates Pansy," Rowan's voice rose in dread as she watched her whole life unfold in front of her. "I think you know what happened already, my dear. More than I do," Severus said as he pulled her into a hug.