Chapter 44 - Building Trust

Rowan had barely slept that night. It wasn't that she wasn't tired, but there was a sense of overwhelming dread that loomed over her head. Almost as if a dark cloud had been following her around ever since she had returned to Hogwarts. Rowan slowly got out of bed, careful not to disturb Severus, and slowly walked over to the door. She knew it wasn't wise to leave without him, given her current circumstances, but she needed to talk to someone who would be on the same page as her; someone she had connected to. 

Writing a quick note explaining she needed some time alone, Rowan grabbed a coat and left Severus' personal quarters. Taking a deep breath, she started down the long hallway to get to the headmaster's office. Although there was nobody at Hogwarts she could safely talk to, there was one woman whom Rowan thought would give some great advice as she once had. 

After quite a long walk, Rowan finally reached the headmaster's office and slowly pushed open the door. "Professor, still taking late night walks, I see?" Dumbledore asked as he peered over his half-moon glasses. Rowan chuckled awkwardly and shook her head. "I was just wondering if I could use some floo powder. I need to clear my thoughts," Rowan explained, not sure whether she should take a seat across from him or not. 

"Am I correct to think that Severus doesn't know you're out of bed?" He asked, grabbing ahold of a small cup on his desk. As he stood up and approached Rowan, she thought she was going to be sick. Though, this was now a common occurrence. Any small thing could make her feel nauseous. Rowan nodded, not trusting herself to verbally answer him. "Carry on," He said, handing her the cup that contained floo powder. "Just- be safe, Professor," Rowan hadn't heard Albus worried for- well- anything since Juniper had disappeared. This was all strange and new; Merlin knows what he would think if he knew she was pregnant. She had to remember to keep her thoughts on the subject quiet around Albus as well; damn legilimens.

Taking a deep breath to clear her thoughts, Rowan focused on the fireplace in front of her. Pinching a small amount of floo powder into her hand, Rowan looked back at Albus, "I will be back," she assured, turning back toward the fireplace. With a loud sigh, she spoke clearly. "Malfoy Manor,"

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

"Professor Knight? What are you doing here at such a time?" Narcissa Malfoy asked as she answered the door. Rowan must have woken her up; she was dressed in only an expensive-looking nightgown. "I'm sorry to disturb you, Mrs. Malfoy. Is Bellatrix still awake?" Rowan asked, shivering as the cold of night brushed against her skin. While she seemed confused, Narcissa nodded and closed the door back. Rowan's heart sank for only a moment before the doors opened again; this time, a tired-looking Bellatrix Lestrange answered the door.

Before Rowan could apologize for coming around at such a strange hour, Bellatrix had wrapped her around Rowan's shoulders, pulling her into a hug as the doors shut behind her. "Oh! Um- hey," Rowan laughed, hugging Bellatrix back. Almost as if she had just realized what she had done, Bellatrix stepped away from Rowan as if she had been burned. Clearing her throat, Bellatrix straightened her flowing black robe. "I heard of your disappearance," she explained quietly. 

"I understand. It was my mother, in case you hadn't heard," Rowan shrugged, not really wanting to remember her time in that dingy basement. "That bitch," Bellatrix spat as she sat down on a large couch. Rowan hesitantly sat down beside her, not sure how she was going to break the news. Bellatrix sighed, slouching as she seemed to take off a metaphorical mask. "I'm glad you're okay. How are you and Snape?"

That was the popular question, and Rowan honestly wasn't sure. "We're okay, though I fear that will not last," Rowan said, as tears threatened to leave her eyes. She wouldn't cry, she wanted to enjoy her time away. "What?! Why?" Bellatrix asked, suddenly showing a lot of interest in the conversation. Rowan lowered her head, not sure of how to word it. Shaking her head, she simply grabbed Bellatrix's hand and placed it on her lower abdomen. She watched as Bellatrix's eyes grew large. "You're-!"