Chapter 52 - A New Title

Rowan had the very same feeling now that she had when she had first received the letter from Dumbledore earlier in the academic year. It was almost the end of the semester, and students were frantically cramming to prepare. It was the beginning of May, and that left less than three weeks left of the academic year. That meant that, while Severus rushed around to try and prepare the students for their exams, Rowan was left feeling useless. She had progressed in her pregnancy as she was now 20 weeks, and she was starting to show. With weekly appointments to Madam Pomfrey and Professor Dumbledore's meetings, Rowan had barely seen Severus in weeks. When they did see each other, it was usually during meals or at the very end of the day. 

Rowan remembered when she was a student at Hogwarts, exams were exhausting. However, she had never quite imagined exams from a professor's standpoint. Now that she was on the other end, she loathed these exams even more. Many thoughts clouded her mind as Rowan approached the Headmaster's door. She wanted to think about exams while she still could, as she had already been told that Severus had yet to renew her title as his assistant. 

Before she could even mutter the password to Dumbledore's office, the door slowly creaked open; leaving a slow and ominous feeling surrounding the staircase. "Hello?" Rowan called out, entering cautiously. After what happened the night of the Yule Ball, Rowan wasn't very keen on entering quiet places; especially around Hogwarts. This time of year, the school was usually buzzing with students and teachers.

"Ah, Rowan! Yes, yes, come and take a seat!" Dumbledore exclaimed as he hurriedly emerged from his quarters causing Rowan to jump in fear. Smiling nervously, Rowan nodded and took her seat in front of Dumbledore's desk. There had been many times when she was in this exact chair, and each time she got the same feelings; excitement and dread. "I am sure you know why I have called you here," Dumbledore continued as he sank into a seat across from Rowan. The first thing she had noticed was that he looked tired. Ever since Rowan had returned from her mother's capture, Professor Dumbledore had been working tirelessly to find the wicked woman; but leads had turned up dry and there was no sign that Evanora "Hyde," anywhere. Everyone, including Rowan, had given up on the fact that Evanora was gone for good-- everyone except Albus Dumbledore. 

Rowan nodded in response to Dumbledore's words, doing her best to clear her mind. Her stomach gave a small flutter as she tried to do so, making it virtually impossible. "Are you still planning on finding out the gender later?" Dumbledore inquired. Rowan smiled sheepishly, damned legilimens. "Yep- both Severus and I agree that knowing would only cause more worry between the two of us," Rowan replied, clearing her throat as she placed a hand against her small bump in hopes to calm down the flutters. "Let's get to the point, shall we?" He chimed as he unwrapped a lemon drop, smiling as he plopped the small candy into his mouth.

"As you know, assistant positions are temporary and Severus has not elected to renew your contract," Dumbledore began as he thumbed at a stack of papers on his desk. Rowan's heart clenched as she listened; the end of her time at Hogwarts was closing in faster than she could come to terms with it. "I know that, ideally, you would become a potions professor. However, we both know Severus has no plans on giving up his position," Dumbledore chuckled to himself and while Rowan wanted to, she feared she would burst into tears if she tried. 

Taking a deep breath, Rowan finally mustered enough energy to speak. "When would be most convenient to move my belongings back to the Zabini's?" Rowan cringed at the thought, but it was not as if she could go anywhere else. She and Severus hadn't looked for any places together and there was no time to with the end of the school year approaching rapidly. "No need, Miss Knight. I have a proposition for you," Dumbledore said, sliding a single piece of paper over in front of Rowan. Gulping, Rowan slowly grabbed it and began to read.