Chapter 36 - Grief

Severus had returned inside while Rowan checked on the sounds they had heard when they caught Blaise Zabini. Part of him was worried something would happen, but the other part of him knew how strong Rowan had become in her years at Hogwarts. 

He quickly joined a few members of the staff around a small table that had been set up for refreshments. "Severus! Nice of you to join us," Albus exclaimed, placing a hand on Severus' shoulder for only a moment. Severus nodded, taking a seat in one of the chairs they had set out. "Where is Rowan? I thought she went outside with you," Minvera asked as she took a seat beside Severus. 

"She did. We heard a noise and she went to investigate while I dealt with some students who were using the carriages for... personal reasons," Severus said, clearing his throat awkwardly. He hated conversations like this, and it felt strange to be apart from Rowan. "You have to be easier on the children, Severus. They won't be young forever," Minerva said with a warm smile.  Minerva had always had a soft spot for the children that came through Hogwarts; it was something that Severus never quite understood. 

"Fine, but I won't be the one running the Hogwarts daycare service," Severus said with a smirk, causing Albus to choke on the pumpkin juice he had been sipping. Minerva only rolled her eyes and turned to watch the students, who had been dancing like there was no tomorrow. 

Suddenly, a sound could be heard throughout the Great Hall. It was shrill enough to cause everyone to cease their conversations. It wasn't loud; that wasn't what made the sound glass-shattering. It was the fear that could be heard that seemed to make the whole world come to a halt. "Severus!"

Severus stood up from his chair, his heart beginning to race. "Was that Rowan?" Minerva asked, joining Severus in his stance. Before anyone could answer, Severus was already running out to the carriages. His thoughts seemed to cloud any judgment he might have had at the moment. He had left his wand in his room, and he would have no way to defend himself. 

When he reached the corner that Rowan had disappeared down earlier, the sight almost made him fall to his knees. He probably would have had it not been for Minerva and Albus, who had followed closely behind him. "Lumos," Albus said, holding out the tip of his wand to the scene before them. 

"Is that-" Minerva started, her hand slowly finding its way over the mouth. Severus slowly approached the scene, his breath shaking wildly. Before them was a pool of blood, Rowan's wand sitting right beside it. With shaking hands, he picked up her wand, clutching it tightly. The amount of blood almost made Severus sick; it seemed almost as much as one had in their body. 

Soon, students began to crowd around the professors, some gasping at the sight of what they had seen. "Minerva, could you please dismiss the students to their dorms? We need every head of house to escort their students just in case," Albus whispered, his wand still illuminating the scene. "Sir, what about the Slytherins?" Minerva countered, glancing over at Severus who hadn't moved an inch. 

"Gather Montgomery, Zabini, and Bulstrode. Have Professor Lupin guide the rest of the Slytherins to their dorms," Albus said hurriedly, and Minerva was off to gather the students. A few minutes had passed and soon, Albus and Severus were left alone. "Severus, we don't know what happened. We don't know if that is hers-"

"Her wand is beside it. This is her wand, Albus," Severus stuttered as he choked back a sob. He clung tightly to her wand as if it were the only thing that was keeping him sane. Deep down, he knew he shouldn't have let her go alone. This was all his fault; all because he was hell-bent on making Zabini pay for what he did over winter break. 

"Nox," Albus said, causing the light to disappear. The pair was now sitting in the dark, neither of them quite sure what to say. Rowan was missing, and the only clue they had was her wand and a pool of blood. Things weren't looking great, especially because of the utter amount of blood that seemed to have been lost. "I should've been there," Severus whispered, his legs finally giving out as he fell to his knees.