Chapter 42 - Family is chosen

"Severus," Rowan whispered as pain flooded back into her mind and body. Her wrists ached and her head felt as though it might explode. However, this was nothing compared to the pain she had felt when she was with her father. Opening her eyes, Rowan was greeting with a tear-filled smile from none other than Severus Snape. "Rowan," he replied, a broken smile emerging from deep within the man. He quickly reached down and grabbed her hand, almost as if he would never let go. 

Rowan chuckled quietly as she weakly tightened the grip around Severus' hand. "I choose you, Severus. In any and every instance, I choose you," Her breathing was shallow and her voice was coarse but she was alive. That was all that mattered to the both of them at that moment. Just as Severus was about to ask what she had meant, Madam Pomfrey rushed into the room. "Oh, Merlin! You're okay!" She exclaimed as she grabbed Rowan's free hand tightly. All Rowan could do was weakly smile. 

"Severus, would you go alert the students? I will make sure our Professor Knight is cared for," Madam Pomfrey asked, giving Severus a look that dared him to refuse. "Of course," Severus replied hesitantly as he let go of Rowan's hand and disappeared out of the infirmary doors. Rowan was sad to see him go but she understood the nature of why he had to leave. 

Madam Pomfrey's eyes met those of Rowan's with a worried look. Rowan could feel her heart drop down into her stomach as she saw the look; the same look Severus had given her when he found out what had happened to her father. "I need to speak with you about your condition, Professor. You had a fairly bad concussion," Madam Pomfrey said, taking a seat beside Rowan's bed. It wasn't usual that Madam Pomfrey would be this worried. Rowan had broken her wrist and Madam Pomfrey wasn't concerned at all. 

"I feel much better now. How is Lockhart?" Rowan asked, looking around the empty infirmary. Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips in annoyance at the mention of the man's name. "He is resting in the headmaster's office. Professor, I have some- tough news for you," 

Her tone was much more serious than Rowan was used to. The usual welcoming smile was nowhere to be found. Rowan nodded, fear building in her throat. All she wanted was Severus by her side, comforting her. "When you were unconscious, Fenrir Greyback demanded that we check everything. He had been insistent that the wounds on your wrists and your concussion were not the only things of concern," She began, her eyes focusing on Rowan's bandaged wrists for only a second. "I did a full-body exam, checking every organ to try and find what made that man so sure something else was wrong," 

"Poppy," Rowan interrupted, not being able to withstand the suspense. If something so serious that Madam Pomfrey wasn't able to fix it, she needed to know now. She needed to spend whatever time she had with Severus; had it come down to a fatal injury. "Sorry, Professor. I just don't know how to say this. You're so young," Madam Pomfrey said, a small tear sliding down her face. 

Her bright eyes turned up and met Rowan's and a smile crept onto Madam Pomfrey's face. "Rowan, you're pregnant," She whispered, chuckling softly. Rowan could swear the whole world silenced as Madam Pomfrey muttered those words. The room stood still in an eerie silence. Rowan couldn't be a mother; she promised herself she would never become a mother. Severus despises children! They couldn't be parents. 

"Professor?" Madam Pomfrey grabbed onto Rowan's shoulder, shaking her slightly. "Sorry, I'm alright. Um- have you told anyone else?" Rowan asked, a knot forming in her throat. She wanted nothing more than to cry. Her own mother was a horrible person, and Rowan had a sneaking suspicion that she was more like her mother than she wanted to admit. "Fenrir knows; being a werewolf, he was able to sense it. Nobody else knows," She answered, calming Rowan's worries. She needed to keep this from Severus for as long as possible.

"Let's keep it between us. Don't let Greyback know that I'm aware of my... condition," Rowan took a deep breath, moving her hand over her stomach. "How far along am I?" Rowan asked, not having the mental strength to look into Madam Pomfrey's eyes. "My best guess is around four weeks,"