Chapter 8 - Home

"And so, we kissed," Rowan finished explaining to her waking friends. She herself had been awake for quite some time, a new sense of passion swimming around in her stomach. Blaise, who had emerged from Rowan's bathroom from changing into a fresh pair of robes, was the first to respond. "I'm happy for you, but aren't you afraid of facing Lockhart today?" He said with a big stretch of his arms. 

Rowan, who was the last to change got up and walked into her bathroom. She hadn't thought of what she would say to Lockhart, or if she wanted to say anything at all. Sighing, she slipped out of Severus' shirt and replaced it with one of her own. She decided that she would wear black jeans underneath her robes today, so she pairs it with a plain green shirt. "Blaise, I'm sure Lockhart won't even be there today. His ego can't handle it," Juniper chimed in when Rowan didn't respond. She emerged and grabbed one of her black cloaks and placed it over her shoulders, the Slytherin house logo standing proudly on her chest. 

"Millicent, you haven't said much this morning," Rowan said, grabbing her wand and placing it in one of her pockets. Millicent looked up at Rowan and shook her head. "It's too early, Knight. Let's just go and get breakfast," She said groggily and Rowan nodded in agreement. "You three go ahead. I have to grab a few things," She said and everyone except Juniper left her room. With a knowing smile, Juniper grabbed Severus' shirt out of Rowan's hands. "I'll put this in his office, and then we'll go to breakfast together," Juniper explained and that was exactly what she did. They walked to breakfast in comfortable silence. 

When they reached the Great Hall, Juniper scoffed loudly. "Fools never learn, Rowan. If he does anything, you tell me and I'll cru-" Rowan cut her off with a small laugh. "You really want to use that unforgivable curse on someone, don't you?" She said and Juniper blushed embarrassedly. Rowan looked up at the staff table and saw her empty seat beside an injured Lockhart and an angry Severus. Taking a deep breath, she sat down closer to Severus. 

"Good morning, Miss Knight," Lockhart said, taking Rowan's hand and kissing it lightly. Rowan pulled her hand away as if his touch had burned her. Rowan felt Severus' hand on her knee and when she looked over at him, he was glaring at Lockhart. Lockhart sighed and shook his head. "My apologies for last night. I thought you were into me," He said with a roll of his eyes. Rowan could tell he was used to getting away with these types of things, and that he wasn't really sorry. 

Severus' grip tightened on Rowan's leg at Lockhart's actions. "Honestly, if Severus hadn't stopped us, I am sure we would have had an amazing night," Lockhart murmured as he placed his hand on Rowan's leg, close to her core. Rowan instinctively grabbed Severus' hand and he seemed to know what was happening. Without a word, Severus stood up and pulled Rowan's chair out with her still sitting on it. He pulled his chair over so that he was now sitting next to Lockhart. 

His actions made the students begin to talk, but he quickly put a stop to it. "Silence!" He yelled, his voice carrying throughout the hall. Rowan smiled innocently and picked up a cup of warm coffee. "What a prude," Lockhart whispered loud enough for Rowan to hear. Severus' eyes widened as he slowly turned his head to meet the previous Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. "Want to say that louder, Gilderoy?" He said coldly, his eyes darkening with anger. When Lockhart stayed silent, he spoke again. "What is it? Afraid that I'll bite? You should be," Severus said as he picked up one last bite of food and began to exit the hall. Rowan quickly picked up her coffee and hurried after him. 

Not too long after, students began to fill the halls as well. Severus had remarkable timing with the way he stormed out. It wouldn't cause too many questions. Rowan watched as he entered the potions classroom and she stood outside, welcoming students in. "What was that about?" Blaise asked as he entered the classroom, only earned a shrug from Rowan. After all the students had been welcomed, Rowan entered and closed the door behind her.