Chapter 26 - Ilvermorny

"Are you sure that she can travel, Madam Pomfrey? Her arm was just injured-" Blaise pushed as he, and Rowan's other friend's, gathered in the small space around Rowan's cot. Severus had already left to pack for both of them. While Rowan had protested that she could pack her own things, Severus had demanded he pack since she was injured.

"I assure you Mr. Zabini, Professor Knight is all in one piece again. She is perfectly capable of travel," Madam Pomfrey replied, nodding in dismissal toward Rowan. "When will you be back?" Millicent asked as she forcefully pushed Blaise out of her way. "A few days, maybe? Definitely before the yule ball," Rowan answered as she turned her attention toward Juniper, who seemed to be fiddling with a small necklace. 

"Whatcha got, Juni?" Rowan asked as she carefully pushed herself off of the bed. Her arm seemed to be as good as new. Juniper, who seemed to be zoned out, quickly shoved the necklace into her pocket. "Just something I took from Granger's bag earlier. She isn't too happy about me getting close to Fred," Something seemed off, but Rowan decided that she would ask when they had more time to talk. Perhaps through a letter.

"Well, you know what I'm gonna say. You need to give Hermione her necklace back," Rowan said, giving Juniper a quick side hug. Juniper nodded, though Rowan knew she would most likely keep it for a while longer. Rowan quickly said bittersweet goodbyes to her friends. Just when she had finished, Severus appeared in the hospital wings doorway with 2 filled trunks. 

"Stay safe, Professors," Millicent said with a small wave toward Severus. He pursed his lips and nodded in her general direction, feeling awkward interacting with a student on school grounds. "I see why you get so annoyed when we can't floo to places," Rowan said as she joined him and the pair began to walk toward the carriages. 

"I still think it is foolish that America does not have a connected floo network," Severus replied sourly. When they had reached the carriages, they were met with a few familiar faces. Dumbledore and Hagrid stood there, awaiting the arrival of Severus and Rowan. 

"I thought you'd like a few of us to send you off," Dumbledore said, mostly directing his words at Rowan. Rowan smiled and nodded, reaching for her trunk. 

"Woah there las, I got ye'" Hagrid said as he picked up both Rowan and Severus' trunks like they weighed nothing and placed them inside the carriage. "Thank you, Hagrid," Rowan said as she held out her hand for a handshake. Much to her surprise, Hagrid pulled her into a huge hug. 

"I can' believe you may be leavin' us," Hagrid started rather loudly. "I -member when you was jus' a youngin walkin' in 'ere. Now yer leavin' an' I'm really goin' to miss you," Hagrid wailed as he let go of Rowan, who had begun to laugh. Hagrid looked both hurt and puzzled. 

"I'm coming back, Hagrid. I'd never leave this place for another job. Hogwarts is my home, and you guys are my family," Rowan chuckled, reaching out and placing her hand on his forearm for comfort. Hagrid's face lit up brightly. "Oh, I knew it! See, headmaster! See!" Hagrid exclaimed, causing Dumbledore to crack a small smile. 

"Have a nice trip, you two," Dumbledore said and Rowan watched as Severus entered into the carriage without returning the goodbyes. Rowan knew he disliked Gryffindors, but perhaps it was deeper than that. Hagrid and Dumbledore had been Gryffindors in their time, and yet Rowan wouldn't have placed them there. 

Just as Rowan was about to turn and enter the carriage, a thought fell into her mind. "Headmaster?" Rowan called out to the retreating man. "Yes, Rowan?" He replied, adjusting his half-circle glasses ever so slightly. 

"Could you watch over Juniper Montgomery for me? She seemed a little off today and I didn't have the time to ask her about it," Rowan asked, guilt eating away at her gut. "Of course. I'll send you a letter if anything changes," Dumbledore assured her before quickly shooing her off to the carriage.