Part 9

Conrad doesn't sleep too well.

When she finally managed to fall asleep, she kept waking every few minutes, every little sound in the house startling her until she gave up on sleeping and settled for merely resting with her eyes closed.

She opens her eyes when she hears Atlas moving around downstairs, reluctantly climbing out of bed.

She was cosy under all of her blankets and sheets, but if she doesn't get up soon, she won't move.

The doorbell rings, and she can hear him hurrying to answer it while she plods into her bathroom, brushing her teeth and combing her hair.

She looks at her bra on the desk chair, and then back over to her baggy hoodie, going for the hoodie instead.

Comfort over style, as always, Jane complains.

Don't make me put a bra on you; I'll do it, and then I'll watch you try to be happy, Conrad snipes at her, shaking her head as she catches a glimpse of herself in the mirror.

She looks how she feels: a bit like death.

She stuffs her feet into her slippers, walking downstairs with her phone in her hand so she can have it as a distraction if she feels awkward.

She follows the scent of bacon to the kitchen, still not totally aware of where everything is in the house.

She can hear voices talking, and as soon as she walks into the kitchen, a baby is dumped into her arms.

"And then I said, 'why not?' So we're going to knock down the wall and make it an open-plan kitchen and dining room," a woman chats, walking over to a cupboard now that she has her hands free.

Conrad holds the child away from her, staring down at it in mild horror.

The baby grins at her, reaching for her with its chubby hands.

"Atlas," she blurts, practically running over to him with the baby held aloft.

Atlas turns around to spot her, his eyebrows raising when he notices she has the baby.

He manages to get his arms out in time to take the infant off her, turning around to glare at his sister.

"Athena; she's not a babysitter," he scolds, putting the baby on his hip and turning back around to continue cooking.

"I didn't even notice I did that," the woman sighs tiredly, running a hand down her face roughly.

"Hi, I'm Athena, this guy's amazing younger sister," she smiles weakly, offering her hand to Conrad.

She hesitantly shakes it, stepping back a little.

"I'm Conrad. This guy's amazing mate," she jokes softly, sitting down beside the woman.

"Elyse just left, or you would have met her," Atlas announces, and Conrad furrows her brows.

"Elyse is my mate. You'll probably meet her later when she comes to rescue our poor child from his uncle," Athena chuckles, sipping her coffee happily.

Oh great, more people to meet, Jane groans.

Conrad's wolf is so anti-social that it astounds her she was going to be a Beta.

"Oh, cool. I don't know anybody here, so you guys have nobody left," Conrad shrugs, pouring herself some juice from the jug.

"We're going to the spa straight after we have breakfast. I hope you're prepared to do absolutely nothing but get filled in on the pack gossip and relax for a few hours," Athena laughs, buttering a slice of toast.