Part 34

Conrad feels perpetually awkward any time she steps into his house.

She doesn't know why she feels this way, but Jane suggested it was because his mate had, at one point, been here.

Even when they had dated before, she always tried to make sure their activities and dates were outside of his home.

She was respecting someone who didn't even want their own child, but she can't help it. She's never met Lauren before, so she doesn't know why she feels so rude invading 'her' space.

"You know where everything is, don't you?" Carlos looks over his shoulder at her, walking into the kitchen and flicking on the lights.

It's dark outside, much darker than a typical summer evening. Conrad thinks there will be a storm, regardless of what the weather forecast said.

"Yeah, I think so. What were you thinking about for dinner?" She asks, leaning against the wall beside the door of the kitchen.

"I don't know. I was going to make lasagne, would that be okay?" He questions, and she smiles slightly, nodding at him.

"That would be perfect, thank you. Is there anything you need me to do?" She clears her throat, and he shrugs.

"No, I've got this, I think. I chop up fresh vegetables every week and freeze the portions; it means I barely spend any time prepping each day," he explains, opening the freezer and pulling out some baggies to show her.

"That's smart," she comments, and he grins.

"I had to be smart. Sabrina is always hungry when we come home from the office, and if I can't make something in half an hour, she starts begging for pizza," he laughs, "I can't keep this physique if she wants pizza every night."

"Yeah, I like your physique, but I also like pizza. It's a hard choice, but I see Sabrina's side on this," Conrad grins, sitting down at the island, watching him move around.

"After I cook this, do you want to watch a movie or something? Nobody would try to come to my house until it's dark, totally dark. The street lights switch off at ten, and then they're motion-sensored, so ten is probably when someone would come to stalk the place," he reasons, and Conrad nods.

She's already mapped this out.

It's her job, to keep him safe, and she takes it seriously.

Conrad fidgets in her seat, something making her feel a little uneasy.

She looks around the room, pulling Jane's eyes forward.

In an instant, she can see every inch of the room, and she stands up.

Carlos notices the change in eye colour, frowning a little as he begins to brown the meat in a pan.

"What's wrong?" Carlos asks after a minute of Conrad staring around the room.

"Something isn't right," she breathes, walking towards the window.

"You have locks on your windows, right?" She questions, running her finger along the windowsill.

"Yeah, they activate the alarm if they're opened," he informs her, pausing his cooking.

She shoves the window, causing him to release a panicked gasp when the loud noise echoes through the room, dropping his wooden spoon.

The window flies open, and she grits her teeth.

"The lock is gone off this window. Someone has been in here," she informs him, and his face turns white.

"What?" He whispers, and she points to a faint imprint in the dust.

It's a handprint, and she puts an arm out to stop him from getting too close, taking a photo of the print.