Part 50

"We've got this," Charlotte nods confidently.

She doesn't let Conrad feel the shakes running through her body or let her see the sweat running down her neck as they walk towards the office.

"Do you think we do? Maybe we should reschedule. I think we should reschedule, I think it's a little weird without him here," Conrad hesitantly explains.

Charlotte grabs her hand, making Conrad turn to face her.

"Look. You need to make sure you and baby are okay. You didn't know about it, and you could be further along than you think. We need to make sure you're both okay. Carlos will be with you at every other appointment. I won't leave your side for a second, I promise," Charlotte swears, squeezing Conrad.

Conrad quickly wraps her arms around her best friend, not exactly wanting to let her go.

"I'm so scared," she whispers into Charlotte's shoulder.

"It'll be fine. It'll all be okay," Charlotte shrugs, turning her back around towards the office.

"What if I hurt it? I flew, and I haven't stopped training or anything," Conrad mumbles, and Charlotte raises an eyebrow.

"You'll be fine. Women have fought in wars, and their babies have been okay; yours will be able to withstand a little bit of running," Charlotte drawls, frogmarching her friend towards the doctors.

Conrad allows herself to be steered, and she's inside before she realises it, plastering a smile onto her face.

"Hi. Conrad Rosser is here for her appointment," Charlotte beams, pointing to Conrad.

"Is High Alpha Amaretti not accompanying you?" The desk lady asks, and Conrad shakes her head.

"He has other things to attend to at this moment, unfortunately," Conrad smiles weakly.

"Okay. Take a seat. The doctor will be with you in a minute. We're running ahead today, you're lucky you came before your appointment time," the lady shrugs.

"We're never on time, always early," Charlotte reassures the lady with a broad smile.

She looks like a fucking puppet. Make her stop smiling, Jane grumbles.

Conrad drags her friend into the waiting area, where Charlotte reluctantly sits down, pulling Conrad with her.

Conrad is usually a pacer; she never sits when she's worrying or stressed.

Not having the choice is new, and she doesn't know how to feel about it.

"Amaretti?" A lady announces, reading from a clipboard as she walks into the waiting room.

"Yep! Here!" Charlotte declares, springing from her seat and tugging Conrad with her.

"Is the father here?" The lady asks, and Charlotte glares at her.

"He had a meeting," Conrad explains shakily, and the lady stares at her, nodding slowly.

"Okay. Well, we're going to see how you're doing and just have a chat about everything. We're going to try to do a scan today, but we can't guarantee that we'll see anything, okay?" The lady explains as she leads them down the corridor.

"Okay," Conrad nods, scrabbling for Charlotte's hand.

Charlotte takes it happily, squeezing gently.

"Do you want to wait outside?" The nurse asks, staring at Charlotte as they reach the door.

Before Charlotte can say anything, Conrad shakes her head.