Part 7

Are we heartless?, Jane murmurs, her anxiety seeping into Conrad's bloodstream.

Conrad shifts uncomfortably, glancing over to the corner where Atlas sits, staring at his phone with a bored expression on his face.

Why do you ask?, Conrad asks her wolf, trying to get comfortable on the wooden chair.

We didn't fight. We just left our pack with no argument. I miss everyone; we didn't even get to say goodbye, Jane whimpers, unleashing some of the misery she feels.

The sheer amount of upset surprises Conrad, who didn't realise her wolf was that upset over the whole situation; the creature had wanted to be with her mate throughout the entire debacle.

No. We're not heartless; we're doing this for them. By going with him, they're not going to get dragged into a war they won't win, Conrad responds determinedly, clenching her jaw as she glances at Atlas again.

He's angry, and his rage is filling the room, putting Conrad on edge.

"Are you ready?" He barks all of a sudden, and she starts a little, the sudden noise breaking through the complete silence like a knife through soft butter.

"For what?" She asks quietly, and he scowls.

"We're going to my mother's house. She's decided she's going to cook for us, and not us for her," he grumbles, standing up from where he's sitting.

"You'll need to change," he remarks, and she bites her cheek, nodding silently.

She's impressed that she didn't lash out - she's angry as hell.

Some of her fury leaks out of her pores, but she snatches up one of her suitcases - the one she knows has some of her dresses in it - and walks up the stairs.

She isn't planning on having him lash out at her, but she's struggling to hold her tongue.

Conrad walks into the room that Atlas directed her to when they had first arrived, and she swings her suitcase onto her bed.

She quickly opens in, glancing over her shoulder before closing and locking the door for safety and for her peace of mind.

Do you think he might hurt us? I don't want him to, Jane whispers.

Her wolf is petrified, the silence putting her on edge.

No, I don't think he's going to, Conrad reassures her, quashing any of her own fears.

She picks up a short, cable-knit red dress with bell sleeves. She decides on layering it with the black cable-knit tights, some knee-high boots, and a thick woollen trench coat.

Putting it on, she slowly nods, pushing her hair behind her ear.

The sleeves of the dress hide her tattoos, which she assumes Atlas will appreciate.

The dress is almost to her knees, and she has no skin showing apart from her neck.

She runs her fingers through her waves, and then slips on her coat, lacing up her boots quickly before hurrying down the stairs.

"I'm ready," she announces softly, clasping her gloved hands in front of her.

He looks her up and down, nodding silently before walking towards the door.

He holds it open for her, locking it behind him while he lets her into the car.

She's tired of him being so angry and irritable, and she's only been with him for a day.