Part 53

Everything is organised.

Charlotte is with Matt, and Conrad had received a text from her confirming that she would stay with him to sort out their issues.

Sabrina is eating the Chinese takeout she asked for while watching a programme on the television, one that Conrad googled to make sure was okay for her age group.

Her only challenge is her parents, who haven't emerged from the guest room.

It's silent there. She would know; she found every possible excuse to go upstairs every few minutes to make sure everything was okay in there.

The house is spotless. When she gets particularly stressed or anxious, cleaning is her preferred method of wasting energy.

You could eat off the floor of the kitchen; she even scrubbed the grouting around the tiles.

She closes the door of the living room where Sabrina is when she hears footsteps on the stairs.

Silas and Barbara make themselves visible, sitting down at the table.

"We would like to apologise," Barbara informs her, clasping her hands in front of her.

Conrad sits down across from them, her face blank.

"It's not me you need to apologise to. You insulted Carlos by insinuating he would do something to harm me," she replies, scanning her parent's faces.

Silas looks particularly distraught. Conrad expected this because she never fights with him. If they do fight, it's fast and short and then never brought up again. They've never ignored each other before.

"Your father didn't mean it like that. But I would like to apologise for not being excited when you told us you were pregnant. My worry for you overtook any sort of happiness, because you know I don't like that all you do is work. When I look at Charlotte and Marcy, it's so different. They relax and enjoy their youth, whereas you work, work, and work," Barbara hesitantly explains.

"Mum, that's Charlotte and Marcy. We're very different people. I like working; I don't like being plunged into awkward social situations," Conrad states, blinking in slight surprise.

"I didn't mean to upset you. I know I did, and I take full responsibility for it. I am sorry," Silas whispers.

He's unusually pale as she looks at him.

"That's fine," she shrugs.

"It isn't. You told me you were having my first grandchild - well, the first one related to me by blood - and I didn't even congratulate you. I am ashamed of my reaction, but I jumped to conclusions. I know Carlos loves you; we both know it. Everyone knows it. He gave such a speech when he called to tell us he was proposing," Silas informs her anxiously, leaning forward in his seat.

"We should not have reacted like we did. I can't wait to meet the baby. Do you know if it's a boy or girl yet?" Barbara asks, and Conrad gives her a small smile, sliding the folder across the table to her.

"It's too early to know the gender yet, but we should know in a few weeks. As soon as we know, we'll tell you," Conrad promises.

The door to the living room opens, and Sabrina peeks in, wandering over to Conrad when she knows it's safe.

"I finished my dinner," she announces, showing her the empty bowl.

"Good girl. Grab yourself a popsicle from the freezer, but don't tell your dad we're having sugar this late," she smiles.

Sabrina happily obeys, and Barbara watches her fondly.

"Well, we already have a girl. So maybe we should hope for a boy," Silas says gruffly, opening Sabrina's ice pop for her.