Part 51

While she's upset, she can't help being amused.

Sabrina is chattering the ear off a nursing assistant, who looks extremely confused.

Conrad sits back in his seat, her eyes not leaving Sabrina in the busy waiting room. She isn't going to risk losing sight of her.

"He said daddy should be out soon," Sabrina announces loudly, skipping back towards Conrad.

Her loud statement draws some looks in their direction, but Conrad ignores them as Sabrina jumps onto the seat beside her, curling up on it.

"Do you want to head home and get changed into something comfy? It'll probably be another hour or two until we can see him," Conrad suggests, and Sabrina shakes her head.

"No, I don't want to leave in case he comes out when we're gone. I'm comfortable like this," Sabrina insists, picking up Conrad's phone again.

She had downloaded some Barbie games for Sabrina to play, and the little girl is thrilled at the thought of being let loose.

"Amaretti?" A nurse calls into the waiting room, and Conrad bolts up, taking Sabrina with her.

Sabrina sits back down, and Conrad looks to the nurse who beckons to her.

She decides to go talk to the nurse alone, and she hurries over to the lady.

"Hello. So, the High Alpha is doing well, but we need to ask for consent to medicate him as he comes out from anaesthetic. We had to break his ribs, and they will be extremely painful for a few days, even with his advanced healing. His chart says to avoid pain medication, but the doctors really think he should be medicated," the nurse explains, and Conrad frowns.

"Can I get back to you with an answer in a moment?" Conrad asks quietly, and the nurse nods, stepping outside.

Conrad returns to her seat, Sabrina immediately leaning against her silently as she continues to play her games.

Conrad is torn. She knows Carlos hates anything addictive, because of his mother's history, but she thinks that it might be best to medicate him to some extent.

The nurse comes back after a minute, and Conrad stands back up, walking towards her again.

"So?" The nurse prompts.

"If you have something non-addictive, use them, please. Otherwise, don't use anything. I need to respect his decision, and he can make that choice for himself when he wakes up," Conrad hesitantly informs her.

"Okay. We can try do something through the IV, but no guarantee," the nurse nods, "he should be out in around an hour, but you won't be able to see him for a while after that as they need to wait for him to wake up in recovery."

Conrad nods soundlessly, watching her leave the room again.

She returns to her seat in what feels like a game of jack in the box, giving Sabrina a side hug.

"He'll be able to see us in around two hours," Conrad smiles at her, and she nods solemnly.

"Is he okay?" Sabrina asks, and Conrad nods.

"The nurse said he was doing well. They're just finishing up," she summarises, letting the girl curl back up.

Conrad drapes her coat over her, looking at the television in the corner of the room.

The news is on, and the weather forecast is playing loudly, warning everyone of the snow that will hit today.

The door slams open, but Conrad doesn't look away from the screen until the footsteps are beside her.