Part 22

Conrad and Charlotte are squeezing each other's hand under the table, staring straight ahead of them.

"In the case of Adamo and Rosser, we have been unable to come to a conclusion," Elizabeth declares, and Conrad stands up in her seat.

"I'm going to ask for an annulment if I cannot obtain a rejection agreement," she states, and Elizabeth nods.

"Annulment granted. We give permission for the bond to be broken immediately. However, we cannot approve a rejection agreement until both parties are of the same opinion regarding their situation," she responds, and Conrad can't stop the smile that creeps onto her face.

"We will have a witch here within the hour. The bond breaking will take place in the round room then, thank you all for coming," Alfred finishes the session, slamming the gavel onto its mat.

Everyone files out slowly, Charlotte dragging Conrad out.

"Come on; we need to go to the round room! We need to find Jeanne and then go to the round room," she beams, managing to slide into the packed elevator with Conrad just before the doors close.

Why are you in such a rush?, Conrad asks with a smile, and Charlotte grins at her.

We need to get some snacks. I'm starving, those meetings feel like they go on forever, Charlotte complains, and Conrad rolls her eyes, stepping out of the elevator.

"Was the rejection granted?" Jeanne asks, falling into step with them the second they emerge from the metal doors.

"No. The bond can be broken, and there's a witch on the way to break it for us," Conrad explains quickly, "I also got permission for an annulment, so I don't have any obligation to see him after this, and they can't summon us together as a couple."

Jeanne breathes a sigh of relief, nodding to Charlotte.

Charlotte silently nods back, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Okay, so after the bond is broken, you just need to get the rejection agreement organised. Why was it not granted? Nobody has been back to their offices yet, I have no information," Jeanne frowns, taking the lead of the small group and walking them towards the cafeteria.

"He said he didn't agree to the rejection. He didn't want to go through with the dissolution, and they can't sign off on it until her agrees. I don't care though; he's no longer part of my life after I get this bond broken and the paperwork for it filed," Conrad chirps, practically skipping with delight.

She would count this as a win, even if she didn't get what she had initially wanted.

She was satisfied regardless, and she wouldn't have to see him after this.

Jeanne is quiet while she digests this information, pushing the door to the cafeteria open with her foot.

"I want lasagne," Charlotte ponders out loud, walking over the what she presumes is the hot counter.

"Are you okay?" Jeanne asks, drawing Conrad into a side hug while they walk over to the sandwich bar.

"Yeah. Irritated that he didn't agree to the rejection, but I'm relieved they saw sense in not making us stay together. They didn't even mention the different ranks," Conrad realises.

"They probably didn't see a point in doing it since you both wanted to end it," Jeanne points out, grabbing a bottle of water.

Conrad grabs a glass instead of a bottle, trying to do her bit for the environment.

If her wolf is going to destroy ecosystems left right and centre, she may as well try to reduce her own waste output.

Charlotte appears beside them, her plate loaded with lasagne and a beaming smile on her face.