Part 40

Carlos had given Conrad the whole weekend off. He ordered her to get away from the office for three days, to take a break from work.

Conrad didn't argue; she obeyed and left a list of what had to be done before she returned to her apartment.

She's cocooned in her bed when Carlos returns from work, appearing in her bedroom with a brown bag in his hand.

"Connie, come have some dinner," he suggests, a frown coming onto his face as she doesn't move.

He puts the bag onto the dresser and walks over to the bed, leaning over her to check she's breathing.

She is, and she's fast asleep, so he walks out of the room with the food, putting the bag into the empty oven.

That will keep it hot, won't it? Hopefully, Carlos thinks to himself, taking it upon himself to do the dishes and clean up while she naps.

He'll wake her up in a while because she won't be able to sleep during the night if she falls asleep now.

He potters around the kitchen, dusting the bookshelf when he notices a thick layer of dust on the wood.

Sabrina is coming home the next weekend, and he's excited to spend time with his little girl.

He doesn't like that she's away, but he knows that it's just a lot safer for her not to be near him full-time.

He can hear Conrad waking up in her bedroom, and he pokes his head into the open door.

"Good evening," he greets, sitting on the edge of her bed.

He leans down to press a gentle kiss against her forehead, pushing her hair back from her eyes.

"I didn't hear you come in," she mumbles groggily, her eyes half-closed as she gazes up at him.

"You're not a very good tracker, in that case," he teases, helping her to sit up a little.

She leans against him, resting her head on his shoulder as she yawns.

"I worked so much. I'm two months ahead of my marketing stuff," she mutters, glaring at her laptop, which is lying on his side of the bed.

"Baby, you were supposed to enjoy your time off," Carlos frowns, looking down at her phone, which beeps loudly.

"Is it Scarlet?" She asks reluctantly, and he nods silently.

She releases a scream, throwing herself back onto her bed.

"Is she still pestering you about the babies?" He asks, watching her thrash around in the sheets.

Once she stops thrashing, he tucks the sheets back under the mattress and smooths out the duvet.

"Yes. She won't leave me alone about it; I just don't want to adopt them," Conrad grits out, standing up slowly.

She slides her feet into her fuzzy slippers, staggering around the room.

She fell asleep in an awkward position, and her feet went numb.

She manages to find her new glasses, and she pops them onto her face, grabbing the scrunchy beside them.

Conrad ties her hair up and then looks back to Carlos.

He's sitting on his phone, a frown on his face.

His frowning face always makes her laugh a little, and she slides onto his lap, wrapping her legs around his waist with a grin.

"You can't be grumpy tonight; it's my turn. You were allowed to be miserable yesterday," she chuckles, sliding her head under his arms and blocking his phone screen.