Part 26

She feels sick at this admission.

She can't find her words.

"How did you know?" She asks quietly, and Carlos runs a hand through his hair, standing up.

The light on his desk is beeping, indicating somebody is entering the code to come into the quarters.

"How did you know, Carlos?" Conrad repeats, standing up on shaky legs.

She feels like she's going to throw up.

"Sit down, let's talk about it," Carlos says quietly, looking up at her.

Conrad scowls at him, shaking her head.

"No, Carlos, I won't sit down. If you can't tell me, I'm not going to stay here. Do you know what else is going to happen in my life? Have you turned into some sort of crazy mind-reader? Actually, you know what, I don't think I want to know," she blabbers, massaging her temples lightly.

Carlos stands up, not breaking eye contact with her.

"Connie, I spoke to a witch about you. You can speak to her if you want, but we have more pressing issues right now," he informs her, turning his monitor around to face her.

On the screen is an image, and she realises that it's a security camera.

The woman is looking into it, and Carlos clenches his jaw, standing up.

"Come with me," he mutters, and Conrad hesitates, opening her mouth to respond, "I swear to you, we'll talk about this later."

Conrad is satisfied with this answer and gets up from her seat, walking a few steps behind him as they move quickly.

"Did you guys have a meeting this morning?" Conrad asks quietly, and Carlos stops dead in his tracks, turning to face her.

"I need you to listen to me very carefully now. Don't say anything to this woman. Don't answer any questions unless I give you the nod and give her the bare minimum at that. I do not have a meeting with her this morning, and she knows my office is empty at this hour," he informs her, and Conrad nods, switching to Beta mode.

Right now, he needs someone by his side to back him up.

He doesn't want a tracker.

Carlos grits his teeth and then closes the distance between him and the keypad.

The entrance had sealed once he had closed the door to his office, as was practice unless somebody with a keycard entered.

None of the members of The Society has keycards to each others quarters - well, he thinks the married couple and the twins might be an exception - so they have to wait if they don't know the code.

Nobody knows his code, not even his employees - they only have keycards.

This reminds him that there's another thing for him to do, organise a keycard for Conrad.

He reluctantly opens the door, stepping back.

He discreetly steers Conrad to his side, not looking over to her.

She smiles slightly, forcing a polite grimace onto her face in its place.

"Hello, Member McCann. What can I do for you this morning?" Carlos asks, and the woman's face briefly contorts in confusion.

Her eyes brush over Conrad before she pushes her glasses back up her nose.

The tan jumpsuit she wore to the trial is replaced with a black suit, giving her a striking resemblance to a female James Bond.