Part 5

Her alarm goes off, and Conrad reluctantly sits up, her hand going to her head instantly as she massages her temples gently.

She shouldn't have drunk as much as she did, and she knew this even as she was tucking herself into bed.

At least we got all our makeup off, Jane shrugs, unusually awake for such an early hour.

She deliberately set her alarm for seven in the morning - she didn't have to go anywhere till eleven, but she wanted to let Jane out for a run, because who knows when she could let her wolf out next. She definitely wouldn't be able to roam for a while once they get to Atlas' pack.

She won't be marked until they can have a ceremony, and ceremonies for Alphas and their mates take preparation and planning. She can't run on his lands until she's marked, for fear his guards and warriors assume she's a rogue as she has a different scent to his pack.

She slowly emerges from under her duvet, stretching her arms above her head and smiling in satisfaction when she hears all of her bones crack into place.

She grabs a robe and some slip-on shoes, hurrying down the stairs as quietly as she can.

Her mom might still be asleep, but her dad is awake.

She can smell smoke coming from the kitchen, and she rolls her eyes, walking into the kitchen and closing the door behind her to trap the smell.

"What did you try to cook this morning?" She sighs, snatching a newspaper from the dining table and fanning the pan on the stove, peering at the charred mess.

"I was trying to make your mom an omelette. It didn't go to plan, I got a phone call during it," Silas sighs, looking a little stressed as he pulls the pan away from Conrad, dumping the burnt mess into the garbage.

He notices the bundle in her arms and frowns.

"If you're going for a run, stay away from the east quarter. Some packs are using it for training today, and I don't want you mixed up in that," he warns her, and she nods with a smile.

"I'm meeting Char, I think," she grins, heading out the sliding glass door.

Are you going for your morning run today?, she links her best friend, and Charlotte sends a groan over the link.

I'm at the old oak tree with the swing. I'll wait for you, but I'm only staying here for two minutes, Charlotte warns her, and Conrad speeds up a little.

Her friend is a stickler for punctuality, and Conrad knows she'll actually leave if she isn't there in two minutes.

Storing her robe and shoes in the little cage at the bottom of the garden in the trees, she effortlessly shifts into her wolf, shaking her fur out.

Jane takes over to find Charlotte, using her heightened sense of smell and her sharp eyes to track down the other girl.

In under a minute, she skids to a halt in front of Charlotte, who's wolf looks mildly surprised to see her.

Harriet, Charlotte's wolf, is a pretty grey colour, with shorter fur than most other wolves. Her eyes are a similar colour to her coat, and they seem incredibly intimidating when she's in wolf form.

Jane, on the other hand, is a light tan colour, with a shaggy coat. Her eyes are a striking amber colour, and allegedly they're pretty distinctive - everyone who she's trained with in wolf form has said that, although Conrad doesn't exactly believe them.

That was quick, I thought you'd take longer, Charlotte laughs, and Conrad glares at her, slowly pushing Jane back a little.

You said to hurry, so I hurried. Where are we going?, she asks, and Charlotte gives her a wolfy grin.